That.. Wow. I. Huh.

I've been doing a lot of work on my game recently. A lot. I've been telling my normal group bits and pieces between our GURPS games. I've told them about the story, about the world. I finally have enough done to do a trial run. Just to test out basic mechanics, you know. To make sure I hadn't made some major mistake, had some fatal oversight.

I did.

My world, my game, that I had prided myself on being "Simple" was too complicated for them. These are the people that make skyship designs with my magitech system. They didn't understand the ideas I was throwing at them.

My oversight? My design goal was to make a game unlike any other, to make something entirely unique. My short-coming? I succeeded. I hadn't even thought of the POSSIBILITY that the drastic alien-ness of my game would confuse my players to the point where they couldn't comprehend it.

My players are pretty smart, smarter than the average one, I'd like to say. The fact that my game is incomprehensible to them does not bode well.

I need to change some things. A lot of things. This was a bit of a reality check for me. I haven't been doing near as well as I thought I had. I made something TOO different, TOO novel. And they just didn't get it.

Wow. That's the first time I've ever walked out on a game.