1. - Top - End - #572
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So basically, EA overestimated how successful their most successful games would be, and consequently spent too much money marketing titles that pratically sell themselves?

Spoiler
    Show
    But they aren't selling themselves, thats actually the problem. That 30 million they spent marketing post launch is entirely a waste if it didn't bring in the expected numbers.

Yes, EA overestimated and underdelivered (just talking numbers, not game quality) and in the case of Star Wars, were relying on name brand recognition to sell it. Several of the so-called 'dead' MMO's did precisely this, and look where they are now?
    (I am NOT infering that SW is in trouble or dead, making that clear now)

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that it was that buggy at launch. They introduced more bugs by being over-eager to satisfy player demands than the game actually had at launch.
    Buggy is still buggy. Theoretically we could still call all this the launch phase. The timing is largely irrelivant though, players impacted is what remains relevant, naturally.

My brain could be addled today, but it reads like you're writing an obituary.
    Actually I was more or less applauding a wise move.

They're a very loud minority. Unfortunately, their dedication to being loud spurred over-reactiveness in Bioware, as noted above. I'm not saying that the company shouldn't have done anything in response, but there were an incredible number of missteps by the company for a game that only five months old, all in order to please the blitzers, please the PvPers, and please the alt-makers. Honestly, I think they might have been better off picking one of those groups and serving them first. Sure the other two could bitch about being left out, but it wouldn't lead to everyone feeling ill-served or to the "bait and switch" labels.
    Indeed. I dislike watching game producers react to vocal minorities for precisely these reasons. I empathise for Bioware, because being stuck between a rock and a hard place is tough as it is without adding in a second rock.
    Really, who do you please in that scenario?

Personally though, I don't see it all as doom and gloom, and I think when SWTOR turns 1 year old, they will have most of this stuff all ironed out. But that was my guess pre-launch.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-04-17 at 10:00 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."