Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
You mistake me. It's not that they're rude or arrogant which irritates me. It's that in nearly every case, I'm not permitted the scope to act in character, namely to put the speaker in their place, courtesy of force choke.
Yeah, that would be even tougher and resource intensive than what we have now - weren't you the one saying that they used too much on voice acting already?

You say stupid and repetitive, I say bland and inane.
Ok, i'm pretty sure inane is a synonym for stupid. So you didn't really add anything there for me to respond to. Why am i quoting it, then? I don't know yet. But for some reason i'm chuckling to myself as i type this. I might need to see a professional

Jokes aside and to an actually relevant response though... Even if it were true that the convos are mostly bland (which i don't think) after WoW's text scrolling without input, i gotta say, it's still totally worth it. 99% of what people say is bland and uninteresting anyway, real life, forum or game.

And you're entitled to your opinion, but mine is that they spent a ton of money to make me mash my spacebar.
Not sure that counts as an opinion since it's technically true =/ You ARE mashing your spacebar...

And I respond that that's a false choice. If you believe that NOTHING better could be done than what we got, regardless of where production resources were spent, again, you're entitled to your opinion. I, however, disagree. Money is fungible, and much of this game could have done with more polish, better writing, and more varied gamplay.
Oh for the love of... have you never heard that expression before? It's supposed to be false, because the choice isn't the point, the-

...Ok I can't possibly explain that properly. I'm not that good with language or hyperbole or expression or whatever. Let me try this again.

I was saying that the conversations make TOR better than WoW, basically. Even with the occasional cringeworth idiocy, more immersion is worth less content at launch. If you're suggesting that the money in voice acting was inefficiently spent, that's a whole other issue.

If I had walked up to Overseer Tremel (the first convo for the sith warrior) and seen text scrolling like WoW, i would have stopped RIGHT then. Probably.

Not really my point. My point is that, in my opinion, cut-scenes are only worth inserting when they're INTERESTING, and the vast, overpowering majority of them are dull, uninteresting mission briefings. What else the developer could have spent the production money on is largely a matter of conjecture.
Marketing may have made a big deal about it, but my point is that it doesn't actually make the game better. In most cases, IMO, it makes the game worse. Make cut-scenes matter, or don't make them at all.
Conversations are are a part of the gameplay. They're not cutscenes. Your point is invalid. Have this cookie.

I don't want to come of as if SW:TOR is a BAD game. I'm still paying my subscriber fee, I still have fun playing it with my friends. And I could totally be wrong in terms of the production costs allocated to animating and voicing all this content. But if I'm not wrong about it, then in my opinion, most of that expenditure does not enhance the quality of the product.
And you're entitled to your incredibly wrong opinion as I am entitled to mine.