View Single Post

Thread: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

1. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

H 758.

Spells should only have one descriptor. Causing confusion is Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]. While the rod would do that with lesser confusion, I'm not convinced that a misplaced objects spell needs to contain that.

Causing a victim's clothes to magically rearrange could easily be done with bestow curse and no additional spell would be necessary, but where is the fun in that? So a new spell is in order (not that it is worth the spell slot if you ask me).

Furthermore, I'm unconvinced that than teleportation rather than transmutation should be the basis of the spell, but that's nit-picky and we could argue that portion for far too long.

I'm reconsidering that now that I've looked over a bunch of transmutation spells. As a transportation spell, it is really weak.You aren't even transporting the clothes and equipment over a distance just rearranging them on the victim's body.

Taking your lead, here is an alternate version of the spell at a slightly lower power. I think I've seen a banana peel for another homebrewed spell and since that reminds me of the gag of someone falling, it didn't seem to fit with motif of this spell. It's been edited to death now and I think I'm done with it.

Here is the final edited version of the spell. It should be correct now.

Misplaced Objects
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level: Bard 1, Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. /2 levels)
    Target: Clothes and Equipment worn by one creature
    Duration: 1 round
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Golden orbs rush toward a target creature . The orbs surround the victim and swirl around him wildly for 1 round.

At the end of the round, the orbs vanish. The victim discovers that all objects on his person have been moved and some items are inconveniently located.

Because of the chaotic placement of items, the victim suffers several penalties:

• Movement is reduced by half.
    • Armor class of characters wearing armor is reduced by 2, since pieces are not worn properly.
    • Attack rolls made by the victim are made at a -2 penalty.

These penalties are eliminated if the victim devotes 2-5 rounds (1d4+1) to rearranging his clothing and gear.

Removing misplaced armor takes half the amount of time as removing normal armor (see table: donning armor). It takes the normal amount of time to don armor. 1

A character requiring an item carried in a backpack, pouch, pocket, or other container must spend 2-12 (2d6) rounds searching for the item. This penalty is canceled if 3 minutes are spent unpacking and repacking all gear.

Items held within a bag of holding, Heward's handy haversack, or other magical containers are unaffected. However, the containers themselves are subject to relocation.

Material Component: a pair of mismatched socks

1 http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm The donning armor table is at the bottom of the page.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-04-22 at 09:27 AM. Reason: reworked the spell some.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread