1. - Top - End - #952
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Roy's level

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Roy is competent because he is smart, wise, (somewhat) charismatic, and has the personality and temperament for leadership. It doesn't work the same way as IRL, and it isn't supposed to.
    I don't know what you mean by "competent", by as I explained in my post, I mean ability to overcome challenges. Then I proceed to explain why it is related with levels - which I won't repeat here.
    MM isn't arguing that Roy is low level. He is arguing that your "gut feeling" that Roy is high level is based on nothing in the comic, and nothing in the rules. There's a difference. In all the voluminous typing you've done on the subject, in both the #850 thread and here, you have asserted nothing more substantive on the subject than some variant of "he had to be, because he is more competent."
    Four attack per round = 16+ levels. It's based in the rules and the comics. I wrote some voluminous typing about it.
    No, he mentions that he has "an awesome idea for a cool sword move..." He didn't "perfect the art" because, as Horace said, "...it don't mean a thing if you ain't paid for that swing." That means he didn't "perfect the art required for the movement." That requires spending a feat, which he was incapable of doing in the afterworld, because he was incapable of gaining experience there, and therefore, levels.
    Let's read what the little ball of light has to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy's Archon
    All these weeks of training since you returned from the Oracle and you've managed to finally master the art of disrupting the spellcasting of a dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by FujinAkari View Post
    This is flatly incorrect. Rich repeatedly and consistently describes the comic as operating according to the D&D 3.5 ruleset. While he can, will, and has modified or ignored rules as the story requires, it is absolutely correct to state that the default assumption is that the story follows D&D rules.
    But that is the thing, isn't it? No one argues that OotS is still a universe loosely based in D&D. But which are the rules that The Giant are using and which are the ones that he ignoring? The default for ootsverse is whatever Rich decides to use. If a forumer are to assume which rules are used and which are not, he's better have evidence to prove his claims.
    Last edited by sgtpimenta; 2012-05-01 at 10:55 PM.