Thread: Legacy Champion and Advance Past Maximum

1. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Legacy Champion and Advance Past Maximum

Response to Answerer:

Spoiler
    Show
    H'boy. Given your approach in this (and other) threads, I think I'd like to actually thank you for keeping out of the RACSD thread.

Let me be completely clear here, or at least attempt it as best I am able via a written medium with huge opportunty for misunderstanding and out-of-sync debate.

Yes, I did create the RACSD thread...for exactly the reason you feared. I created it in hopes that it would engender considerable participation and involvment, and that from it a significant consensus opinion of what constitutes "Common sense" would, in fact, arise. That the term RACSD *would* be used in this forum, that the rules in that thread *would* be referred back to in other threads just as I have done here. This is entirely on purpose.

Common sense does exist, no matter how vehemently you choose to deny it. It simply does not have ultimate, universal authority that you are claiming that others claim. Common sense is:

what makes sense : a rational. reasonable explanation.
    to the common person: Regular folks with no claim of exceptional authority...one of the main reasons I've outright rejected attempts at having "experts" have more sway than anyone else.

So far as it is possible to ascern (ie, based on the limited sample of those who have elected to participate), common sense would favor denying Legacy Champion advancement beyond the top of a class's levels.

As of my earlier post, that common sense was at a threshold of 70%. What does 70% mean? Not much. It's a majority. If you care about parlementary procedure, it's a supermajority. If you care about statistics, it's still less than a normal distribution. Interpretion of the meaning, or lack thereof, of 70% is left to the reader...and YOU were the one who assumed that I was making any sort of claim as to the importance of that figure.

I was not...I was simply reporting the current state.

Now, back to the argument at hand. Let me give you another reason to consider denying it, one that even RAW ought to appreciate.

What are the special class features of the 4th level of Hellfire Warlock?

You are *assuming* that it's another +2d6. You're *extrapolating* from the existing 3 levels. However, since there is no such 4th level line in the class, you have nothing to go on but that assumption.

There isn't even wording in the description of Hellfire Blast that says "every level" in it.

The only class feature of HFW that has "at each level" in its description is increases in invoking. All of the rest is purely assumption.

Thus, even if you reject the arguments to the contrary, and the influence of a majority of interested forum participants who feel it is common sense to deny such progression, at MOST legacy champion could only advance those abilities who, spelled out in the text, apply to "each" or "every" level. Extrapolating and assuming is, oddly enough, explicitly called out only as a feature of designing epic progressions which, as you've pointed out, is a totally different thing from Legacy Champion progression.

All of the above set aside in DarkOrchid is a prime example of fatigue-blindness. I honestly read over that paragraph three times, and still completely managed to miss the "each level" part that Snowbluff, below, correctly points out. Completely incorrect mis-reasoning left intact for the sake of honesty.
    Last edited by Andorax; 2012-05-22 at 12:42 PM.
    Whadda ya mean, Orcs got levels too?