Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
I'm very glad that you disregarded that advice. I know that some people think that that's the best way to watch it, but I enjoyed season one, it just isn't as awesome as the rest of the series. I personally think that it's absolutely necessary to watch season one, and I know that I would have enjoyed the later seasons less without having seen it.
*Nod* I find that most advice to watch shows out of order are poorly thought through. Often a lot of concepts introduced early are important later, even if the show only 'got good' later, thus leaving a new entrant lost.

This is a very important thing to learn if you want to make your art realistic. This is why I try to never use the dodge and burn tools, since they just darken or lighten the colors, when more realistic highlights and shadows change around the saturation and the tone of the colors, not just how light or dark a color is. One of the big rules of art is that if you're going to darken a color, don't just do it by adding black, and if you're going to lighten a color, don't just add white.

That kind of strayed off of what the original point was, though. Which is that yes, art looks flat and boring and unrealistic if it's all one color, just at different values. Something that you should be aware of for more detailed art pieces is that light reflects off of objects onto their surroundings, which changes the color of the surroundings. If you put a bright red box into a blue room, there'd be a bit of red on the walls of the room. Similarly, if you had a character wearing a green scarf, a little bit of green would reflect off of the scarf onto the edge of their chin, if the light was going in the right direction. This is easy to overdue, and you probably won't want to do this for quicker, simpler color jobs, but just a little hint of the surrounding color can add a lot to the realism of a piece.
This was super double helpful for making that concept click. and I'm really glad you took the time to say it. Thank you.

This looks really cool. I like her expression and attitude, and her hair looks nice. The only things that jump out at me as wrong is her left shoulder, which shouldn't stick out that much given the angle that she's turned at, and her right forearm, which looks a bit too long. Other than that, looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing this colored.
Ah, that left shoulder! I had it right the first time and then meddled with it. Thanks for pointing that out. Will colour it tomorrow, had a Day.

Day 382: It's A-Me

Did you know I fought in the Console Wars? Diehard Nintendo fanboy. It's so inherent to my being I automatically dismiss any title on any other console out of hand. The scars run deep and Sony will never be forgiven.

Also interestingly, I never actually meaningfully played a Mario game. The Zelda series was sublime, the Metroid Prime arc a masterpiece, but I never actually touched on the flagship product.

Maybe it's because the man is terrifying.

Links

Time: 20 minutes
Music: Love Is In Bloom (JayB's Alicorn Trance Remix)