View Single Post

Thread: Fixing SKR's Feat Point System

1. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fixing SKR's Feat Point System

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Yeah, I don't know that I've ever taken one of them. They're pretty terrible.

Now, here's the big problem with the whole ball of wax....it's subjective as hell, and feats vary depending on combos. Iron Will is better if it's an entry requirement for that sweet PrC you want. What combos are available will vary depending on allowed sources.

So, long story short, feats don't have static values, which kind of undercuts the whole thing.

Edit: The original list really is quite hilarious. I admit I'd enjoy playing with it quite a bit, and gleefully taking "worthless" feats like Improved Init.
    Well, I'm mostly tried to err on the side of caution. Many feats have secondary purposes, which is why even the terrible ones don't have a negligible cost. And I tried working from the assumption that the people taking the feat are the people most likely to benefit from it.

So... while feats vary in value a lot, by trying to aim on the higher end of that range (maybe at the 75% mark), we end up with costs that are reasonable for some, a good deal for some, a bad deal for some, but unlikely to be particularly abusive except in extremely specialized builds. And people can pick and choose around the ones that are bad deals for any given character, since there'll likely be others that are better deals now that costs are lower on average.

It's a problem, you're right, but I don't think it's a big one. And it's certainly better than the current system which effectively assigns each feat a value of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by hoverfrog View Post
    Awesome. I would definitely take it at that point cost and use it to make oils of magic weapon, keen edge, etc and those handy boost things like bull's strength that every fighter needs just before a fight. A whole party can boost up in a few rounds rather than have the buff spell casters waste their spells and time doing it. Still, I get that it isn't for everyone. Thanks for the explanation.
    Honestly, I think that's excellent if I'm hitting the sweet spot where people start thinking "hey, y'know, maybe I could actually make use of this". Someone already mentioned that for all those +2/+2 skill ones, and more power to them! Neither they nor Brew Potions are ever going to seriously unbalance the game, but if it's low enough to pique people's interests without being a obviously good deal, I think that's perfect.
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2012-06-12 at 05:55 AM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.