1. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Capturing Flame and Freeze for own use, A combo casting baseclass, PEACH apprecia

By the time you gain Child of the Arctic Volcano, you have already gained fire/cold immunity from Of Two Worlds, so the 'max equal to your resistance' caveat is completely superfluous. I do find much amusement in the way Child of the Arctic Wind completely negates Flamestrike though!
    The ice and fire immunity are only during the trance. Outside of it, chances are that you only have resistances, that is where that line comes in. Glad you like the way it works though ;P

Also, this line in Two World Trance needs to read differently:
    Fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

You haven't added weapon or armour proficiencies yet, thought I'd remind you.
    That's......a good one, can't believe I forgot that, thanks for the reminder.

Also may I suggest you add Knowledge (The Planes) to their class list, since they seem to do rather a massive amount of channelling from other planes!
    Seems legit, I'll add it.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, this class? Awesome. But I think there might be a few issues, all at low level. You get to cast your Ashen-Frost Burst once every three rounds. Now, say you're level one, and you're in a trivial encounter that you don't want to waste one of your three Chains on. So you use the burst. And sit around for two rounds. Similarly, if you cast the Burst, and then on turn two use your chain, you've got nothing for round three. Which is why I'm suggesting you give them something similar to the anchors, but A) as a class feature, and B) they remove the cooldown on Ashen-Frost Burst when used. Make it a minor boost, dependant on what path you chose. Maybe the Destruction of the Material people get a little bonus on damage (say, +1 per die of both fire and ice), the Controlling the Material get to make a square nobody is in difficult terrain until the end of his next turn, and the Weakening the Materials people give a -1 per 2 dice of damage to the target's AC.

Ah look, this is certainly a major issue. At first I wanted to resolve this by using things similar to eldritch blast shapes and augments, but as time passed, it kinda slipped my mind. I'll add your suggestions to it, although I must figure out the balance first. I'm kind off worried if I removed the cooldown, that it would be more effective to only spam Ashenfrost-bursts instead of doing chains.

Next, blanket immunities. Say this guy is facing somebody immune to both fire and ice damage, like a Xorn. Just looked in the SRD, found him randomly. Second monster I checked. What's this guy gonna do?
    That is where the secondary path comes in. If you picked Destruction of the Material as a primary and Weakening secondary, you can always switch to debuffing, because the Xorn is not immune to debuffs and let the others deal the damage. On the other hand, it would be nice to have some Chains that deal untyped damage. I still have many Chains to create, so one untyped Destruction Chain per Chain level would be nice.
    "Edit": If you pick the Destruction path, half of the damage you deal with your Ashenfrost burst is untyped damage and has no cooldown if you don't chain anything behind it. This should slightly solve the problem.

Also, the ACF that switches out the Fire and Ice damage for Sonic and Force is far, far more powerful. Force is very hard to resist, I suggest either removing that or making it a feat you can take at 1st level that gives some sort of disadvantage. Force and Sonic damage is that good.
    You got a valid point there, I'll give it a downside.

Thx guys, I really needed this kind off peaching ^^. Thank you for helping me out. If you need any peaching yourself, let me know, I'll be happy to help.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2012-06-22 at 02:32 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated