2012-07-09, 10:57 PM (ISO 8601)
Re: GiTP Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition IV - A Homebrew by any other Name...
Quiet and ever observant, midwokans are fey creatures of the Winter season. Their name is derived from the day of their birth: every midwokan is born on the night of Midwinter, formed from the icy waters of a Winter Well -- a crystal-clear well that reaches right out of the material plane and into the mysterious energies of the fey. Although some would say their hearts are as cold as the waters they sprang from, midwokans can be very passionate, especially in the defense of a Winter Well. The majority of their social collectives are built on preserving the Wells, as their entire race would be doomed without them. This leads to midwokans being one of the most sociable of the fey, as they are eager to gather allies to ensure their own survival.
Physical Description: Midwokans are very close to humans in size and shape, except that they stand a few inches shorter and their ears are slightly pointed (though not as large as even a half-elf's). Their skin is nearly stark white, with some having a very faint blue tint. Midwokans' hair and irises both range from silver-white to sapphire blue, with greys being the most common. At birth, a midwokan resembles a human child of 3 or 4 years of age, and they grow rapidly. Although midwokans are universally infertile, they do have genders and possess all the organs of a human.
Society: Midwokans often live in the cities of other races, allying with them for the defense of a Winter Well. They integrate with the other races and live as them, but remain connected to their fellow midwokans as a clannish extended family. A clan's important decisions are typically made by a small collection of more politically-minded elders, including which prospective parents take in a new-born midwokan. Because all midwokan families are adoptive, one will typically treat their close friends as actual siblings.
Relations: Midwokans mix freely with the races that live near to them, and they encourage their allies to build cities around Winter Wells. They favor reliable races like dwarves and kobolds as defensive allies, but tend to connect more with the tranquil elves and watchful halflings on a personal level. Despite their connection to the fey, few midwokans enjoy a gnome's prank-based sense of humor.
Alignment and Religion: A typical midwokan will consort with whatever creatures are available to protect her people, from orcs to aasimars, adopting their laws and customs but rarely their ideals. Because of this, most midwokans are neutral. Midwokans tend to worship deities of nature and water, but many observe the gods of their allies and a significant number shun the gods completely in favor of the divine forces of nature itself.
Adventurers: Most midwokan adventurers leave their home after a falling out with the people around them, when they refuse to accept the ways or laws of their society. Others wander out of despair after the destruction of the Winter Well that birthed them. Those that travel often find a home among druids or rogues.
Male Names: Fokada, Idsano, Jansoka, Kanka, Moka, Noso, Sasan
Female Names: Anoa, Daona, Kofako, Kinsa, Namoda, Sakra, Wosadid
- +2 to One Ability Score: Midwokan characters get a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
- Medium: Midwokans are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Midwokans have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Fey: Midwokans are of the fey creature type. They are immune to spells and abilities that only affect humanoids.
- Cold Subtype: Midwokans have the cold subtype, giving them immunity to cold and vulnerability to fire.
- Low-Light Vision: Midwokans can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
- Born of Water: A midwokan can breathe water as easily as air, though they do not normally possess a swim speed.
- Integration: A midwokan chooses a creature type (or subtype of humanoid or outsider) from the ranger's Favored Enemy list at character creation. They receive a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks when dealing with a creature of that type or subtype.
- Observant: Midwokans receive a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive and Disable Device checks.
- Languages: Midwokans begin play speaking Aquan and Common. Midwokans with high intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Gnoll, Goblin, Halfling, and Sylvan.
Random Starting Ages
Random Height and Weight
× 5 lbs.|
× 5 lbs.[/table]