The Champions of Sovereignty

The King sat on his makeshift wooden throne, courtesy of the workers guild, at the head of a small table, around which sat his most trusted advisor's and friends. A few hours ago this room had been filled; as all the influential men in the district, and as many citizens as could fitted into the vast hall, gathered for his official coronation.

The king had put on his best smile, accepted the crown with dignity, showered the people with promises and gifts and gave his planned speech, speaking about the glorious future of the city. The people needed a King who seemed confident, capable and caring, so he wore that visage, as his training had taught him.

The king would not lie to his friends however, so as he sat on his throne, listening to the reports of death and violence across the city, their was a audible quaver to his voice, a slight shiver to his hands.

"Well, that's the last of the reports. Your orders my liege?"

"I.... I...don't know. I don't think I can do this."

The King reached for his crown. The commander of the Champions; seated at the Kings side, grabbed his hand, stopping him in his tracks.

"James? What are you doing?"

King james replied emphatically. "How many lives rest in my hands? I can't do this Bran. I can't rule a city. I'll just get people killed"

"The people are leaderless, they need their king to restore order."

"I can't do it. look at me!" James stood up, tears running down his face. "I'm breaking up and we haven't even done anything yet"

James moved to turn away, but Brannigan grabbed his arm, and embraced him, as a father does his son. After a few seconds, he released the boy slowly.

"Thanks". James wiped the tears away from his eyes.

"I have faith in you James. I trained you for this day, but training can't make a great king. Your fear is a sign of your compassion. You care for the people of this city, more than any other man I know. Your fear will keep you from making a decision, until you're sure it's the right one."

"I ... don't know. What if things just get worse? I don't know how much death I can take."

"Don't worry about what the future may bring. Concentrate on the now. We'll face this together, one day at a time"

The King took a moment to gather himself, and sat back on his throne.