View Single Post

Thread: Connection and Contention (IC)

1. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Connection and Contention (IC) Now Open!

Reynald
    After cooling down somewhat, Reynald returned to his cabin to throw on a navy overcoat and fetch his cane. He would need to look presentable to the Board. After all, appearance mattered in high Society... he chuckles softly. According to Captain Whitefeather, Aldhaven was fast approaching. He need only look out the window to see his home city, but Reynald finds himself hesitant. So many memories here... bad mixed in with the good. However, there was still the matter of the curse. At first, he had had absolutely no idea who had tasked the mage to cast the spell on him, but after finding out Almeran, he found the answer staring starkly back at him.
    The Painters Guild. Of course, I still have no idea who they really are, only that they seem to oppose us at every turn. The name had come later, the last words of a dying man during a midnight raid. From all of the intelligence Reynald had gathered, the guild seemed to be comprised mostly of lower class thieves and assassins. Four Society agents had been murdered over the course of the last year, which led to yet another question.
    Why did they curse me? Why am I still breathing? The mage could have killed me that night. For some reason, they want me alive. Reynald takes a deep breath. The Painters would be brought to heel, justice done against their ringleaders. But first, he needed to retrieve the double agent. He makes his way back above-deck, watching as the crew of the Herald made preparations to dock. The city was there now, looming. Every crack, stone and plank was exactly as he remembered it. Somehow, everything was different though. There was an aura of tension here. Even from several miles away, Reynald could sense it. Things were changing, and not necessarily for the better. His reverie is cut off at the approach of two sets of footsteps. The Twins, of course. Kirin and Arlin Corvayne, his two enforcers. They dressed the same, crimson coats over matching black pants and shirts, complete with golden belt and boot buckles. However, up close one could easily spot the differences. Kirin had a more muscular build, wearing her golden hair longer. Underneath her coat one could see twin hilts, the golden wire protruding somewhat. Arlin, on the other hand, was even skinnier than his sister. He bore no overt weapons, instead carrying several pouches with what looked like spell components, as well as a small book. Their violet eyes stare back at Reynald, awaiting his orders. The Twins knew him well.
    "We have nearly arrived. Now, once we have docked I want you to split up and begin searching for a crew. Strength, loyalty, and avarice are the primary attributes you should be looking for. Start in the taverns and the arena."
    "Where will we meet you?"
    "I'm not sure yet. I have to check back in with the other Society members before I can leave. Here, take these. It will help us keep in touch." From one of his pockets, Reynald pulls a pair of dark gold earring studs. He hands one to each twin.
    "I acquired these toys fresh off the Brunsgrove market at a wonderful price. These will allow the three of us to communicate telepathically for up to fifty miles. Only wear them when you absolutely need to talk: the enchantments on these will only allow a certain amount of chatter every day." Reynald nods, seemingly to himself. Yes, this would work. Hopefully, the Twins would be quick about their task. Looking up, he can see the Aldhaven docks quite clearly. This early in the morning, the pier was not too busy, but the banker could make out figures going about their business as usual... hold on. There was one figure standing at the edge of a dock, staring at the Herald of Dross as it approached. Apparently, the Society had sent someone to greet them.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-15 at 01:43 PM.

Winner of the MtG card design contest 'Winner is the Judge', Week 5!