Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but your train is impossible.

An Orthogonal Engine generates 100 push for 54 bulk. This gives a naked engine a velocity of a little over 55 ft per round (~6.25 mph).

Additional push requires a bigger engine and this scales linearly, so there is no way to break the 6.25 mph limit.
Silly jseah. Your words are directly contradicted by both the text and the table. First, look at the table. I'll wait. Have you looked at it yet? If you have, you will clearly see that speeds in excess of 6.25 mph are entirely possible. Or do you seriously believe that mach 3 is slower than 6.25 mph?

Second, look again at the bulk ratings compared to the space they take up. A size tiny engine is a cube with a length of 2 feet, and as the default it is capable of producing 100 units of Push. Now, a size large engine is a cube with a length of 10 feet, and for the purpose of Push generated it is considered to be 125* of the tiny engines. Now, lets look at the Bulk Rating of a Large engine. We see it is 532. Math time: does 532/54= 125? Of course not. The bulk rating does not scale linearly, while Push score does.

If we look at the number of stuff I specified, all the engines together would not fill a Huge space. Even adding the transformers, cabins, and structural bits, I could fit things into a Gargantuan engine easily without reducing engines or transformers. Although, as a freight train, lots of extra horsepower could be useful.

The math to determine speed is simple enough. The only real messy bit is my insistence in working with mph.
Code:
1. Divide the Push generated by the Bulk rating
2. Round down
3. Multiply by 30
Each orthogonal engine supplies 100 push**, so the maximum Push rating will always be the number of engines working in concert, times 100.

*2 feet^3= 8 cubic feet.... 10 feet^3=1000 cubic feet.... 1000 cubic feet/8 cubic feet= 125 units

Spoiler
Show
So, for example, if you spend three hours preparing an engine which is three times as large as normal and feed it three times the normal fuel required, it generates three times the normal Push.

Simple Orthogonal: ... it generates 100 points of Push per round. ...