Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
You're kidding, right?
I am not. The fighter is extremely unimpressive for me right now.

I'm calling foul on this. Radiant Lance only ever does 1d8+4 damage, a ranged weapon deals equivalent base damage, but there are also special abilities and feats fighters can use on them, and cleric blasts are not the greatest.
Oh, as far as raw damage, the cleric isn't gonna out-damage the fighter most likely. Not that it seems to matter that much with how low HP many of the creatures in the bestiary have. However, it can keep competitive, and the fighter attacks don't scale at any great rate. With an extra d6/d8 from expertise you're looking at maybe edging out the cleric in DPR by 2-4.

I feel parry is relevant, but with a clerics healing it mostly evens out(though a fighter has a higher hit die, parry, and can be healed)

On the other hand, at level 1, a fighter gets 1d6 extra damage on their attack, every round, and by level 5 thats 2d8 damage, every round, at no cost. As far as damage over time, I think the fighter is at the head of the pack. A wizard at level 5 can, using their best spell slot, do 5d6 damage to a target a couple of times(fireball, average damage 17.5), a fighter can easily deal 1d12+2d8+4 damage every attack(average 19.5 damage). In any fight lasting more than a few rounds, the fighters damage per round will be at the highest in their party(unless the rogue can secure advantage every round).
You're exaggerating a bit here methinks. You say "at no cost," but if they're applying that extra damage from deadly strike, that means no parry for the round. Also, using a reaction on parry means you can't take advantage of, say, the guardian trait, which I have to feel will be a priority for defensive fighters. Of course, if you have two clerics in the party, one can take healer and one can take guardian... I almost feel like I'd rather have two clerics than a cleric and a fighter. You'd see a small decrease in damage but a large increase in staying power.

I do feel Divine power is a little too strong, especially considering it's level 1(it either needs to drop to +1, or not allow an attack when you cast it.) Though do remember, a cleric can only cast 3 level 1 spells per day, and every divine favor is another spell they can't cast.
Yes, but that becomes less relevant as you increase in level and get more spells of other levels per day, while divine favor stays just as strong. It affects checks too, not just attacks.

It is an extra heal, and it is nice with the war domain, but it doesn't look like it gets used often enough to be anything more than a nice occasional ability.
It is essentially an extra spell per day (at first). It's at least as good as healing word, and it scales, both in uses per day and in power. It's especially good with the Healer specialty, which I imagine many clerics will take.

The fighter is quite powerful, and that's just deadly strike, they still have the option to use their expertise dice for other effects.
I'm not quite agreeing on "quite powerful," because to me, I think a rogue will deal more damage, a cleric can hold the front line just as well... where is the fighter's niche?

I will say that, at level 1, a cleric seems a little powerful(which is when channel divinity, crusaders strike, and divine favor are at their best), and the fighter a little weak(expertise dice get dramatically better at level 5), but I find all the classes quite viable and competitive with one another.
I should note that by level 5 a cleric has many more spells per day, 2 channel divinity/day, and 2d8 healing with channel divinity (16 points if a healer), and I'd much rather be a cleric than a fighter at that point.

The way I see it is, once you reach level 3 as a cleric, make healing potions that will always be maximized, and keep some healing spells prepared (probably healing word for the level 1 slot), but try to devote your spells to offense unless you absolutely must heal. Of course, channel divinity can be used to heal 2/day starting at level 4 and that will be a big help.