1. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Okay, so any rogue, either a thief rogue or a thug rogue, can make a sneak attack against a target that did not see you at the beginning of your turn, when he has the Lurker specialization.

That's the Ambusher feat, that allows you to make a sneak attack when you begin your turn hidden, but reveal yourself before you make the attack. Like when you run out of your hiding place and cross the room to get close enough for an attack, and you are plainly visible as you close the distance.

Debatable, as it says "your skills" and the 1st playtest package was quite explicit about the fact, that this ability applies only to skills that the rogue has training in.
    Which for a thief background rogue would be Find Traps, Open Locks, and Stealth. Not any other skill he might use without having special training in it.

You are correct on the lurker thing, I had mis-remembered. I was not the Thief type rogue, and just assumed he had his "SA when not spotted at start" from his thief choice, not from the lurker. That was my error. I heartily apologize, as I hate giving misinformation, especially when trying to clarify a confusion.

Note that rogues get two backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Scheme
    Choose a rogue scheme. Two options
    are presented here: thief and thug. You gain the
    background of the same name, in addition to the
    background you gain when you create your
    character (the two backgrounds cannot be the
    same).
    In addition, you gain the class features
    corresponding to the scheme at the levels noted
    Quote Originally Posted by Backgrounds
    If you already have training in a skill and would
    gain training in that skill again (for example, a skill
    granted by both your class and background), you
    instead choose a different skill in which you
    become trained.
    So rogues get 6 skills trained.

The language in "When you determine the bonus for each of your skills," does not indicate at all to me trained only. Though I guess, hmmm, could be interpreted that way as the sheets son't list the skills individually. When I roll a skill check I'm making an ability check with a possible bonus from the skill, as opposed to a skill check with a modifier from the ability. Subtle, but possibly distinct difference, could be important for them to clarify. Especially since the sheets don't list all the skills, for you to add ability modifiers (which saves space). It seems more of the format "I want to do this" "Make a Dex check, with +3 if you have the slight of hand skill." I had not noticed that.

Edit: So it's still good, if you trained a skill that has a weak attribute for you, but it's not bard "jack of all trades," which is what I thought was borked.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2012-08-19 at 05:51 PM.