View Single Post

Thread: [D&D 5e] Darkness of the Deep

1. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 5e] Darkness of the Deep

The warty Hill Dwarf with a short - for a Dwarf - dark brown beard hops off the back of the wagon and takes a gander at his surroundings. He couldn't help but get the feeling that something bad was going to occur. Instinctively, he draws his gnarled quarterstaff. He then looked at the Elf and whispered, "What do those pretty little Elf eyes see? Oh right, an abandoned Inn. Who knows what has taken up residence in... There. I say we send the Halfling in to scope it out!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Just going to post my character sheet in this thread, since recruitment threads have a short shelf-life. :)
    Spoiler
    Show

"Once more into the breach!"

Name: Mortimer Mortikind III
    Race: Hill Dwarf | Class: Warlock
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Male | Height: 4'4" | Weight: 230 lbs
    Specialty: Survivor

Common Combat Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]{table]Name | To Hit | Damage | Range| Save DC | Effect
    Eldritch Blast | +7 | 3d6 | 50 ft. | - | -
    Quarterstaff | +5 | 1d8+0 | - | - | -
    Dagger | +5 | 1d4+0 | 20/80 | - | -[/table][/table]

Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]{table]Name | Bonus | Effect
    Animal Handling | +3 | Interacting with animals
    Forbidden Lore | +7 | Recall info about Forbidden stuff.
    Local Lore | +7 | Recall info about the town where my Inn is located.
    Professional Lore | +7 | Expert in lore pertaining to Innkeeping.[/table][/table]

Spells & Invocations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pact:
    {table]{table]Name | Level | Effect
    Fey Pact: Verenestra | 1 | Gain a Wart when you gain this boon (1 time effect only). Spend a Patron's favor, allowing me to gain an advantage on all Charisma Checks made to influence it for the next hour. [/table][/table]

Invocations:
    {table]{table]Level | Name | Effect
    Minor | Eldritch Blast | Hurl a bolt at an enemy w/i 50 feet. If I hit, the target takes 3d6 Force Damage.
    Lesser | Fabrication of the Weave | Create a light, non-magical item worth no more than 25 gp. The object lasts for 10 (minutes, I presume).
    Lesser| Visage of the Summer Court| Each humanoid creature of my choice w/i 30 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails, I charm it for 1 minute. [/table][/table]

Rituals:
    {table]{table]Level | Name | Effect
    1 | Comprehend Languages | ???[/table][/table]

Equipment:
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]{table]Name | Weight | Cost | Benefit/rules
    Leather Armor | 15 | 10 | 11 + Dex Mod
    Dagger | 1 | 2 | 1d4 piercing. Range 20/80
    Quarterstaff | 4 | 2s | 1d8 bludgeoning. 2 Handed
    Adventurer's Kit | 38 | 4 | a backpack, a mess kit, 50 feet of hempen rope, a tinderbox, ten torches, ten days of rations, and a waterskin.
    Spellbook | 3 | Free | Houses my Rituals
    [/table][/table]

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mortimer Mortikind III was born in a wealthy Dwarven town. His father was an innkepper, as was his father and his father before him. Mortimer married a feisty young Dwarf maiden, named Penelope, when they were 18 years old. Mortimer still remembers fondly her fiery red beard popping out from under her lily white veil on their wedding day. Ah, those were good times.

Mortimer owned and operated his own Inn called the "Big Bed Inn", which was well known for - you guessed it - having very large, fluffy beds. Dwarves didn't much care for the Inn but foreigners did. In fact, Humans loved coming to his little Inn. It was centrally located, provided human food for breakfast and dinner and the ample legroom of the beds was much beloved.

During the Winter season, which is always slow, a warty old hermit that smelt of sulfur came to stay at the Inn. Mortimer didn't much like humans of his ilk but business was slow and the Dwarf needed coin. The Hermit kept to himself, mostly. Only coming out of his room for dinner. At night, Mortimer could swear he heard more than one person in the Human's room.

One day, the hermit settled his bill and left for good. As the Hill Dwarf was cleaning out the Hermits' room, he discovered a black book with red runes scrawled across it. Mortimer decided to take a peak at what such a unique looking tome contained. That decision, changed his life. He was immediately contacted by a powerful fey being known as Verenestra. She offered Mortiknd a deal - his soul for unlimited power, wealth and prestige. The Hill Dwarf lead a simple life of a commoner but he had always dreamed of becoming wealthy and truly providing a life for his beloved, bearded wife. With a little trepidation Mortiknd was given the knowledge of the Warlocks. His soul was her's but fortune and fame were his. That very evening, he bid his wife farewell and struck off on what she believed was an "information gathering venture to see how Human Inns operate." In reality, Mortikind became an adventurer!

Last edited by Felhammer; 2012-08-27 at 12:15 AM.
    DMing:
    - Warriors of Blackvale: IC OOC 2 Doc

Playing:
    - Goattracker IC OOC
    - Rissy IC OOC