1. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #2: Its time to Celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That'll be fine. NWoD Mortals is a perfectly serviceable game, and probably the best choice for a total new group - get used to the rules, then you can consider choosing a supernatural splat.

If you're used to combat-heavy games, NWoD will definitely be a change. It can be combat-heavy, but compared to games like D&D, it'll be a bit of a culture shock because fighting is incredibly lethal. Humans are squishy, and stay that way - a total newbie can be unconscious and bleeding to death in two or three solid hits (or less), and the most badass hardcore fighter on the planet will be able to take four hits, tops. Guns are vastly better than melee weapons, as expected for a realistic modern horror game - subtract one from the previous values if it's a gunfight.

What is means is that the system discourages using violence to solve your problems, unless you like making new characters a lot. Social skills and stats help you avoid violent situations, mental stats and skills are good for arranging so you're never in a violent situation to begin with. And if you have to fight, fight dirty - use cover, set up ambushes, outnumber your opponents, and still expect to be patching up wounded or sewing up body bags when the dust settles.

It's a game of gothic horror - there are things that go bump in the fight, and you might not know they exist. A Mortals game might involve a haunted house, or a deranged serial killer, or an evil cult leader with mind-control powers. Watch some good horror movies for ideas, then think of how it'd be better if the cast weren't total morons like they always are, and work up a scenario from there.
    Thanks, Glyphstone! I had heard something from my friend about how fighting in WoD is sorta like giving two eggshells large caliber rifles.
    Well, I do appreciate the information. I had been under the impression that supernaturals were included in the book, but I wasn't planning on having players use them anyways.

As far as pacing goes, and just being the Storyteller in general, differ from D&D? Is it much more difficult, or on the same level? And should it actually be "scary", or simply just very...creepy?

EDIT: I forgot to say that if this is poorly worded, I apologize. I've been slammed with work lately...
    Last edited by Daemonhawk; 2012-09-06 at 06:53 PM.