Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
There are other examples of physics being ignored when it suits the story. A favourite is the Miko and Windstrikes shaped holes in the tower wall(!).
IMO, therefore any speculation based on science lead nowhere, unless the giant clearly use that in a scene as a plot or story telling device.
I think the opposite, that is, "regular" real-world physics always applies everywhere by default on the Stickverse mortal plane, except when it suits the story for jokes (for example, the movement of the riding Xykon decoy following Wile E. Coyote's Law of Cartoon Inertia) or when, of course, any magic is used.

RC lifting the crate is a joke-less scene, so you can't dismiss physics there (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by CloakedDancer View Post
I have to admit, while I am enjoying reading all of this discussion of wood and theoretical construction, I am very much puzzled as to why the focus has been so much on real world physics, based on real world history. D&D is set and flavored around a certain time frame in real world history, but it differs dramatically from that time frame because of magic. There is magic armor, magic weapons, and magic items that all operate differently than their real life counterparts would.
Essentially same answer as above. The focus is on physics because it generally applies in-comic, and RC lifting that crate is not a scene that has any reason to be exempt from the exigences of the laws of physics.

I feel that assuming there is some kind of magic involved with presumably experienced hunters capturing a high level monster makes sense, and that they would have the resources to own a more expensive, potentially lightweight yet sturdy cage than novice hunters would makes sense as well.
Sure, but in D&D, you can usually divide things into two distinct groups: the ones that are real-world medieval (or strongly inspired), and the ones that are fantasy/magic.

In other words, I expect to see both "magical" cages and "classical" cages in the world. So, IMO, the hunters could very well have been equipped with a high-tech (a.k.a. magic) permanent cage like the moderately escapable one Xykon cast over Miko, bought from some wizard, but they weren't -- instead, they had what appeared to be a standard wood crate.

Sure, they could technically have bothered to get spells cast on that crate to make it permanently lighter or stronger, but I would personally see that as a weird, half-assed middle ground between good old sturdy standard crate and kickass magical crate.