Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
However, what keeps me on my toes is that Eisenhorn suffers, a lot, and loses many things that are dear to him (I'd say there are no spoilers involved, this IS Warhammer 40k) So while he won't ever get killed, the danger he tells of always felt real, and you expect and fear that bad things will happen. Even moreso because Abnett has a way of making you like his characters.
I won't argue against that, but so far everything I've seen him lose is fairly trivial or otherwise easily subverted.

Spoiler
Show
Losing the ability to smile, for example.... oh well. Being psychic makes that a none-issue more than once.
He loses his left hand..... And points out that he could have had a fully functional bionic replacement almost immediately, but simply chose not to.
A number of his staff die in active service.... Yet by the next short story, let alone book, his list of contacts has increased 10-fold to the point where he has to actively send some of them away, and the 'important' ones never seem to be in the slightest danger.
He loses his unique/special weapons, like his power sword and Astartes-gifted boltpistol.... And immediately finds a magical rock with which to build a runestaff and an expert metallurgist who can create a Force Blade for him.

Yes, he's challenged quite grievously... But I always get the sense that he can't help but come back stronger than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
He's also wildly inconsistent with his characters' abilities. At least, with Gaunt and his =][= books.
Eisenhorn doesn't seem too bad in that respect, and when it does occur it's usually handwaved away with a plausible excuse. It's usually just sminor points like in the first few chapters of Malleus where he falls off a jetbike and supposedly breaks his left (and thus, bionic) wrist, and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
Slated for October/November release.
I'll have to push myself to get through Ravenor quickly, then. As it stands, without proper reference, it sounds as though Ravenor would simply turn his chair up to 11 and mind-bolt Eisenhorn into oblivion. The end.