Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
Bagpipes of the Damned: From the Libris Mortis, why oh why did they choose that of all instruments to give the "Play this and your summoned undead get +4 Turn Resistance" power to? Couldn't they have given this to an instrument with more dignity, like a fiddle or a horn?
I suspect that this is from a module. You can always re-fluff it as a grand piano or something.
Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
It's also an Elf hand, specifically. So the next Dwarf I'm playing will wear a Hand of the Mage, which he personally chopped off an Elf and had mummified into a magic item. The Elf is probably still running around somewhere with only 1 hand.
I want to place several of this in a game where the local magic mart is run by an Elf. When they try to part exchange them the reaction would be something like:
"Eek, get those things out of my shop before I disintegrate them."
Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
The infamous Orb spells of 3E have an ancestor in 2E called Chromatic Orb from the Wizard's Handbook. It was a 1st level spell that created a colored orb doing some damage. As you gained levels the color would change and the damage would increase or even change in severity of harm. You could choose which ever color/effect you want you were able to cast. Eventually you would be able to cast a Black Chromatic Orb of Death. Save or die. In 2E a wizard could cast a 1st level save or die spell. Not save or suck, save or die.
Original source: 1E UA Illusionist only. (well it might have been in Dragon first). The thing is though, by the time you can do the save or die thing, you could have spent your action in casting a 6th level spell.
Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
It's because the government outlawed art and music. That's the most real excuse. Anyone caught singing, playing the violin, painting, drawing, or anything of the sort is to be cast into jail forever.
Sounds like England in the Cromwell/Puritan period; and the Pilgrim fathers wondered why they were unpopular.
Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
2E's Priest's Handbook offered specialty priests kits for clerics. They were based on various themes and used the spell spheres to determine which spells a priest had access in addition to a couple of class abilities. A priest would have major or minor access to a sphere. Major access meant the priest would eventually get all spells, capping at 7th level in 2E. Minor access meant you only get up to third level spells.

1) The Cure Wounds spells were in Healing sphere. Not every priest got access to Healing, so there exists clerics who did not heal. Not "stupid" per se, but for 2E that was a big deal of a disadvantage. I learned that from experience playing a cleric of Justice/Revenge. Even the DM saw how harmful it was in play and agreed to allow me Healing sphere.

2) The priest of Guardian only had minor access to the Guardian sphere.

3) I don't remember which priest kit, but I know there was one that had minor access to Summoning sphere. There were no spells in Summoning of less than 4th level. (2E's Tome of Magic had a few, but Priest's Handbook was published before it so it only took into account PHB spells of which no Summoning spell below 4th level existed.)
I ran this and it worked well. Clerics were still the most powerful class.
No one uses the useless kits anyway.

I run a similar house rule in 3.5. Clerics get to cast their domain spells spontaneously instead of cure X. If they want spontaneous healing then they need to take an appropriate domain.