Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
Hey all,

I've been having a spot of trouble accessing this site for about the last week. My DNS keeps resolving to 108.162.195.182, which is apparently some cloudflare site that boasts some "always online" tech or other, and either said "no cached page is available" or fed me a cached page. I had to manually edit my hosts file to get an IP that actually worked - 174.132.204.34 (gotten off of a remote whois service on the web).

Any idea why your DNS doesn't point to your servers from all locations?
Sending you to one of those many IPs, dependent on your location in the world, is the correct behaviour. You can see the announcement here (under the section titled "Improving Website Speed"). Please change your hosts file back immediately.

If the Content Delivery Network (CDN) is unable to contact the site, it will attempt to deliver a cached version of the pages if one is available.

If the site is inaccessable for more than a short blip, then we want to know details about it so that we can report it. Instructions for what we would like to know are below:

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
If you're receiving these messages, I want to know about it. Please include the following information:

The exact error message

When it happened and how long it lasted.

If the alt site worked

The results from pinging www.giantitp.com and alt.giantitp.com
In Windows, you can get this by opening a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd, then press Enter), then typing "ping www.giantitp.com", press Enter, type "ping alt.giantitp.com", press Enter (both sans quotes)

The results of a traceroute (aka tracert) to www.giantitp.com and alt.giantitp.com
In Windows, you can get this by opening a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd, then press Enter), then typing "tracert www.giantitp.com", press Enter, type "tracert alt.giantitp.com", press Enter (both sans quotes)

For full troubleshooting purposes, it would also be really good if you could include your public IP address at the time, you can send this to me in a PM. You can get this by going to Google and typing in "my ip" (sans quotes).