Just a thought: given that Tarquin seems to believe that he'll be a legend after he's killed, wouldn't Elan be able to crush him - without combat, even - by telling him that he would be forgotten, or worse yet remembered not as a legend, but as a fool?
I'm thinking of Geoffrey Chaucer, in 'A Knight's Tale', where rather than risk a physical confrontation (which he'd already proved he couldn't win), he tells his transgressors:
"I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity."

Something like:

...No Dad, I won't do it.

T: ?

I won't tell your story.

Oh, I'll sing the praises of the Dragon Empress and the clever-but-tasty King of Tyrania in every tavern and inn on the Western Continent. I'll recite the ode of the shrewd rogue that survived a decade in the dungeons, dodging death, disease and selection for the gladiator arena at every turn. I'll even sing the sad ballad of the escaped palace slave that was hunted down and burned alive within the day, just for wanting to be free.
But I will never - ever - tell the story of the general that secretly ruled three empires.

At best, you'll be the clown whose pants keep falling down during the annual children's play.
At worst, you'll just be... forgotten.

T: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!