1. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Altaria is workable; but the problem with Golduck is simply mediocre (at best) stats. Base 95 Special Attack and base 85 Speed make for a very lackluster special sweeper, and the 80/78/80 defenses mean it won't be taking very many hits. Altaria can do better simply by virtue of it's typing and movepool.

Also, if your main job is to take out weather, you need to take out the Pokemon who makes that weather; this is what makes Dugtrio such a great addition to Rain teams, it can trap Ninetales and Tyranitar as well as get a KO. Golduck can't outspeed 'Tales or threaten TTar.
    Lickilicky does a decent job of stopping weather and taking out weather-starters... if it can catch one of them in a Block + Normal Gem Explosion/Hammer Arm Lol I'm just kidding, Lickilicky is garbage
    You almost had me going there. I haven't touched Lickitung since Gen 1.

I'm only including a weather team killer because I get frustrated at seeing the same damn setup thrash me every time (politoed -> kingdra or ttar -> excadrill). Also I should probably up the relative tier of the pokemon I'm using, since I seem to be pitted against people with Latios and the like a lot. (Keldeo being banned still makes me slightly frumious, in that the other parts of the group are not banned, its ability doesn't even help it, and there are far better legendaries that -are- allowed). I'm thinking of using Kingdra that knows Rain Dance/Hydro Pump/Draco Meteor/(Dragon Pulse, Outrage or Waterfall) since it'll certainly be faster than the others once it starts it up, and more than likely packs enough punch to OHKO them. Though Arena Trap Dugtrio is a tasty option as well, and it's been forever since I've had those little mole thingers on my team!

...Speaking of, does anyone know if Shadow Tag Litwick is just a big tease and it's never going to actually happen, or if it's one of those Hidden Grotto pokemon or something?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    I may not be a competitive battler, so forgive me if I say something stupid...

Perhaps use Cloud 9 Golduck for Sandstorm/maybe Sunny Day teams?
    Or perhaps even Cloud 9 Altaria for Sunny Day teams?

I rather liked using Cloud 9 Golduck myself against my friend's sandstorm team.
    I'd considered some kind of air lock pokemon (not Rayquaza, unfortunately since it's banned :shedsatear:), but was sort of dismayed at the options available. That's why I'm opting for what I'm calling "weather hitchhikers" since their only point is to benefit from an enemy's weather team.

EditEdit:

Just had a 40 minute battle between Dragonite and an enemy Breloom...UGH. Spore, Low Sweep, Substitute + Poison Heal is a pain. I apparently lost because I forgot the opponent had a full HP suicune, while my backup Espeon only had 1 hp left. We actually ran out of time; his Breloom couldn't KO Dragonite, and as soon as he ran out of Substitute uses, Outrage would have OHKOd both Suicune and Breloom (6 attack increases).
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-09-20 at 04:40 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star