Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post

If I'm reading you correctly, what seems to be bothering you is that, if Tarquin were to lose at this stage in the game, he wouldn't care. That's what the plan he details to Elan seems to say. By being a King for decades, Tarquin already won the only game he was playing at, everything else is icing on the cake. If Redcloak dies without completing his Grand Plan, his entire life will have been wasted. Xykon would likewise be seriously miffed if he bit the dust before realizing his evil scheme. But Tarquin... even if Tarquin were to drop dead right now of a heart attack, he wouldn't consider it a loss. He's playing with house money at this point. If he keeps winning, good for him. If he loses, eh. He already accomplished everything he cared about anyway. It seems to me that it's not any real in-universe invincibility on Tarquin's part that's bothering you, it's the fact that if Tarquin were to lose, he by all indications wouldn't be that upset by it. And I have to ask - Why is that? Who cares how the villain does or doesn't view their ultimate downfall? Does it matter to anyone other than the villain himself? Should it? At the end of the day, dead is dead. The only way that Tarquin is unbeatable is if you accept his view of reality, his definition of "win" and "lose". I can't imagine that Roy, or Redcloak, or even most people, do. In their eyes, if he's dead and his plans are ended, then he's beaten. If you don't like Tarquin's terms, then why agree to play by them?
Well, you've pretty much explained my point better than I have in my first post. Thank you.

Now for the second part, as in "Why does it bother me". I suppose the simple version is "Personal taste". I love it when the villain or bad guy is essentialy forced to confront the fact that everything has crumbled before them, and they can't do a thing about it, i.e. the end of Death Note. Tarquin, as you stated, is playing with house money. And I recognize that he can be beaten but still say "Eh, I still had a fantastic run". But I, personally, would like it to be humiliating. To extend the metaphor, I want the house to take its money back, as WELL as what he brought originally. It's just a personal preference in how I like stories to be told, I guess.

Let me stress, I won't mind much if it doesn't go the way I want; after all, I'm not the author, and I trust that it will have a satisfactory conclusion. I'm sure that I'll probably even love it. I just am saying what I would do, if I were Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Exactly. Tarquin has already "won". There's no way to take the past away, erase it, or change it.

Sure, at some point in the comic (and it won't be long in in-comic time), Tarquin will be "stopped" or "defeated". That won't change the fact he got to live like a king for a long while. As you said, he's playing with house money now.

His rabid hatedom won't be satisfied (and I don't care, I doubt Rich does either).

Also, am I alone in taking everything that happens in the comic really lightly? Seems to me that many of you seriously want bad people to get what they deserve... personally, I don't care, as long as the story's good (and I fully trust Rich on that point). Tsukiko's death, for example, was absolutely awesome. Xykon "going the extra mile" with the bouncing ball and Sapphire Guard was just epic.

If Rich could find a totally satisfying way to have Xykon win and the Order be defeated in the end (nearly impossible task obviously), I'd have no problem with that as a reader.

It's a stick figure comic telling us the story of six PCs in a roleplaying campaign. I won't take it personally when the DM/storyteller/"the forces of the OotS universe" tells me slaves have been nailed into position, oiled, and set on fire. It's the kind of thing that happens all the time in a D&D campaign at the hands of the bad guys. No big deal.
I guess I was making too much of a deal of it earlier. I apologize for that. I just had some things I wanted to say and I got too carried away.

I fully trust Rich on telling a good story too; as I mentioned earlier, I LOVE the story so far. And while you are right about my complaints, i.e. I want to see him get what he deserves, I guess I'm starting to realize that that's probably not going to happen, at least not how I want it to. Tarquin has essentially won, as you've pointed out. Nothing outside of a Wish spell can stop that, and that would just be the easy and boring way out.

Well, here's hoping it turns out to be epic!