Death Masks
Spoiler
Show
By the time she realizes what she’s done there are several dozen cards sticking out of the masked blob. It writhes for a moment, its neck elongating, turning down to view the items imbedded in itself. It seems confused for a moment. Then its skin seems to harden, crack, and begin to crumble away. It fall falls into a pile, and there’s a hollow thud against the wooden floor of the gymnasium.

What remains when the shadow is gone is something just as strange. It’s the mask, but there’s something attached behind it. It’s a rusted metal box with several wires and pipes sticking out of it, about the size of a basketball. From it oozes a viscous, dark liquid. Wisps of black smoke spew out the side, and occasionally a spark pops from the box.

In Sleep He Sang to Me
Spoiler
Show
The blow to the creature’s arm does much more than Shirley might have thought. When she jabs the chunk of chandler into its arm the metal glows, pulsing with the light of her will once before a ripple of energy rips through the dark skin on the beast. It’s entire upper arm is removed, shoulder melting away, hand falling free and going limp. Dreamers begin to scatter, fleeing across the hall.

The beast raises itself on one hand, trying to balance and raise itself up, howling while it does. If she could find the perfect place to strike, such a blow might tear out an even more pivotal part of the monster.

Me and Gravity
Spoiler
Show
The older woman on the bridge looks, just for a moment, surprised at the transformation that occurs in the girl speeding toward her. Just for a second, and then it’s something more quizzical. She takes one step backward, sliding away from the railing and the girl perched on it.

The burst of speed from Nerissa brings her closer enough to grab Marisol, and the cry that the Princess gives seems to have some effect. The girl on the rail’s turns again, teary eyes turned down toward Nerissa. She waves again, and then she flings herself down into Nerissa’s arms. Whether she realizes who she is or not, she seems to recognize her as a friend. And she tells Nerissa it all, who she can’t take the bullying anymore, how her parents treat her, everying.

“You know,” Mentions the older woman in a dry voice, “The weak don’t deserve to survive in this world. You should have let her find the truth.” And then she turns, beginning to move down the bridge and away.

I Need a Hero
Spoiler
Show
((You'll find that you're taken to the Dreamlands fairly naturally, and you'll have your audience with your queen. She'll tell you all the stuff you're supposed to do. You can find a small community online of people like you. As for the kid, he doesn't show up at school over the next week. He's with his mother in the hospital, or off doing something else. I think I'm not going to play out your meeting with your queens, you can just assume you get the basics.))