1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

Chapter 17: Happiness
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 15 - XXX1

I saw Karen in the mountains, looking pretty happy.

"Your moves are alright, but I'll teach you some of ours. It'll be great."
    "Yeah, maybe so. I'll look forward to it."
    But I have no idea when the next dance will be...Next year? Oh, well.

Nothing else of real note today, except that I think the guy who lives at the mountain -- the carpenter, maybe? Has acknowledged my existence with a little nod. Huh.

After the last few days, I feel like I need a breather. A day with nothing crazy or emotional happening...

Except this:

"W-what?"
    "I like you, Fox, so I'll back you up. <3"
    "W-where did this come from?"

"Heh. A man who's cool like you is really just like snow; when you put him in a new enviroment, he melts. It's a matter of time."
    ...I'm not sure I like the idea of melting.

Well, anyway, off to the... Well, I was about to say 'off to the library,' but I'm stopped by the sight of a very nervous Mayor talking to his rather unhappy-looking wife.
    He was just done explaining something when I came by. I'll just...elect not to step forward. It's not eavesdropping, it's just...Not wanting to interrupt.

"I'm sorry, dear."
    The mayor's wife sighs -- she doesn't sound surprised, or even very upset.

The mayor flusters about a bit. Maybe I've just got a nose for this, but this feels...Like a scene where they're both familiar with their respective roles.

"So...I thought I could use my secret savings....And help him out...Oh, Goodness..."
    So, in other words, someone conned the Mayor out of his money by claiming to need help. Like a mini Spanish Prisoner, but relying on him being nice instead of relying on him being greedy. Well, that's good. I wouldn't want our mayor to be tricked with his greed.

...Of course, a mayor you can't trick with puppy dog eyes is even better. How did he stay in office?
    At this point, his wife just sighs gently. But it's a different sort of sigh -- she's smiling gently.

The mayor doesn't catch it, though. He looks like a scolded child.

And she starts to giggle behind her hand.

"I married you knowing that you were a gentle and good-natured man. You can't help that there are people in this world who will take advantage of that."
    Her forgiveness seems to hit the mayor worse; he slumps a little where he stands, and I have to strain to keep casually overhearing and not eaves-drop at all.

"If she sees that long face of yours...Anyway, it's not as if I didn't put away some of our secret savings somewhere even more secret...For such an eventuality."

The mayor nods happily, relieved that his wife is looking out for him...And going home.

...Having someone to watch your back...I remember my mom's relationship with me, but not her relationship with my dad...
    Dad never dated or had anyone else in his life...So I can't quite picture what it's like. Seeing a moment like that, I can't help but feel...A little lonely. Maybe he felt that way, too. I'm not sure if I could be there to back someone else up, either.

So I end up heading to the library with a lot on my mind. Maria looks thoughtful today, too.
    "What's up? Something on your mind?"
    "No -- Well...M-maybe a little..."
    "You can tell me, Maria."
    She half-mumbles through her explanation.

"...to clearly say what you want to say...Not being able to tell people no, or ask them to think about their lives differently...To show people what I do and why it matters..."

This is one of those moments where time freezes. Because what's she really asking here?...She's asking me because she needs something from me...

"Maria... You're a really wonderful person. You shouldn't be anyone you don't really want to be."
    I take another deep breath, and she starts talking to fill the silence.

"That I didn't have to change...It -- It takes a tremendous amount of courage to change your personality."
    "That's not what I meant...I think you have that sort of courage."
    "W-what?"
    "Even if it's just a little at a time...It's been a lot of fun, slowly seeing you open up. I know you can do that if that's what your happiness is... Because, like I said; you're a really good person, Maria. Unlike me, you've got your dreams, even if they're secrets. You've got it together."

She smiles, but tears form at the edges of her eyes.
    "What? What'd I say?"
    "Don't worry...I'm not sad...I just..." She stares for a moment out the window. "I think I need some air, to get my head together."
    And she leaves the library quietly. I stay a minute longer. Yeah...I'm totally no good at supporting people.
    When I eventually leave, I don't see her around... But I do see someone at the crossroads.

A familiar someone.

An incredibly jerky someone.
    "That idiot in the hat...He really bought that whole 'sick mother' thing right up! Whatta Maroon!"
    As he stands there, laughing to himself, Maria shows up.

...Oh, shoot. Man. I need to do something before this goes terribly wrong.

The salesman turns around.
    "Oh, you're that man's daughter...What? Want his money back? Too bad, princess." There's an awkward silence. "What? Say something already!"
    She scrunches down, but starts to speak before I can step in.

"Even if they forgive you, God won't."

"...Forgive me. I don't expect my happiness to be gotten from karma or prayers."

"Does...D-does taking things from other people make you happy?"

"To measure other people's happiness. Are you happy just because you're self-satisfied in your 'righteousness'?"
    Maria doesn't answer.

To my surprise, she doesn't give up...Even as she's shaking, she doesn't surrender her feelings that easily.

"When you hurt other people?"

"People? That's just foolishness. Happiness is for people who don't care what's in their way."

Maria shakes her head.

"...Hurt other people....I want to make people happy."
    "You don't want to feel uncomfortable yourself. You want to feel safe, like..."

She slumps downward, but shakes her head still.

She comes up to him, fidgeting with something around her neck.
    "I-I'm no good...With...explaining how I feel..."

She hands him something small and gold from her neck. The salesman examines it.
    "What's this? A golden pendant?"

What the heck, Maria?! Don't give him your stuff! He's a cheat!

Her nod comes very slowly now.
    "I-It'll make you happy, right?"
    "Goodbye, young lady. Thanks for the cash."

He strolls off merrily. I've had enough of that.
    "What was that about, Maria? You can't just let that guy get away with your things!"
    She stares after him for a long time.

"Can a person be happy living only for money, not caring who he hurts?"
    "...I don't think so. I couldn't live happily just thinking that's what people wanted of me...And I think my dad just hates joy."
    "But what if he's right? Is it wrong to judge others...Based on what makes me happy? Couldn't your dad be happy, too, and you don't want to see it?"
    ...I'd never really thought about it, so it takes me back. I don't have an answer.

"...I don't think it is. Not from you, anyway. You were pretty brave back there, though. I was all ready to jump in and protect you...But I was impressed."

...Why do I seem to keep making her cry?
    And you know...They both had their points. What exactly is 'happiness'? When you put it like that... I don't know if this is what Grandpa meant.

Well, onward to my next stop. Cliff's at the ranch today.
    "What's up? How's Cain?"
    "He's doing well; he really likes this area....You like animals, don't you?"
    "Yeah, I do. I feel a sort of...Kinship." Or maybe a sort of dislike, in the case of Malice.
    "That's good. I mostly like wild animals, but..."

"But I don't really have the money to buy or care for one."
    I think Agros is doing OK...But I'm not confident. I share his concern.

Anyway, I'm here...For a reason. A reason that goes Baa.

I'll get some more fodder, first. I'm basically out.

"I'd like a sheep today."
    "Diversifying, huh? Good for you, kid!"
    "...My name is Fox."
    "Don't like being called 'kid,' huh? How about Greenhorn?"
    "..."
    "Ah, cool down! I'm just kidding!"
    He bursts into rolls of laughter.
    I leave.

Oh, another joke, huh? It is to laugh!

First Baah.

Welcome to the family, Lambo.

Anyway, I keep working and doing my chores before heading to bed.

Summer - 16 - XXX1

Calling it now: Kent is excited about the sheep.

Who got it right? This guy.
    "That seems to be basically how it operates, yeah."

...Really? That's it?
    "...Have a nice day, Kent."

First up: more tomatoes! I ship them, except for the presents.

Second up: Mail.

I don't recognize the handwriting at all.
    "...To that girl with the glasses."
    Inside is a little golden pendant. It's a locket with an engrave butterfly on the front.
    A part of me wants to open it -- but a part of me knows better. But that part...Well, it'll never win, you know?
    As I open it, I see that inside...Is a picture of a young Maria, smiling happily between her parents. They're at a festival, and Maria has a balloon in her tiny hands, the string rising out of frame...
    Everyone in the picture looks so happy...
    That in my hand, the pendant feels heavy, too.

Well, Mr. Salesman, it looks like that girl defeated you, after all. I'm not sure I could fight, either. In fact, a part of me is pretty sure I lost a long time ago...

Anyway, onto the mountains, first.

"...It is?"
    "Silly Mr. Fox!"
    "Oh, by the way...Thanks for the advice. About the vineyard."
    The little elf applauds.
    "You did well, too, Mr. Fox! With just a bit of hinting, you did well!"
    "Thanks for adding that last part."
    "It's OK. Heroes don't need to be smart."
    "H-hey!"
    He laughs and bounces off.

Karen's at home today, which is a bit of a surprise.
    "I heard something odd the other day."
    "Oh?"

[colo=purple]"he's my grandma's grandson."[/color]

"That is how family trees work, yes."
    "It just feels wierd. I thought my family here was all there was -- this means I've got an uncle and an aunt somewhere, too, right?"
    "And that you're related to Cliff. That's pretty unexpected."

Anyway, I go through most of my day as normal... Except that when I reach the library...

Maria's on the ground. I let the whole topic of the pendant fall from my mind.

"Maria! Are you alright? What happened?"
    "Ouch...I seem to have twisted my ankle."
    "Oh, ow... You need someone to look at that, right?"
    "I think so. There's ice and bandages at my house, but...I can't actually stand."

Well. I think what I need to do is pretty obvious... I mean, I'm pretty strong, and I don't think Maria weighs very much...Her house isn't far at all.

I guess she wasn't expecting that. She flusters.
    "You just said you couldn't stand. I can't just leave you on the floor. I mean, what would I say to your family? Oh, yeah, Maria fell and she couldn't get up, but I didn't want to bother anyone..."
    She laughs, mostly out of nerves. It was a terrible bit.

Her body is warm, and she really doesn't weigh much -- I bet she's one of those people who gets lost in something and forgets to eat. Or maybe it's just that she's a little high-strung. But all the same, I feel very warm, carrying her. Like...I dunno.
    I just feel good. Not, like, sexy good. Just...Good. I don't think I have the words. All my nerves feel on end. Her hair smells of lavender shampoo, her clothes feel soft, her breathing is nervous and light, and brings her sides in and out of touching me.

I carry her down the road to her house.
    "U-um....Fox...Thank you. For yesterday."
    "What do you mean? I just stood around and made you cry."
    "...I-I don't know...Whether what I did was right or wrong...Or anything like that...If what I think's OK...But...M-maybe it's my fault, but all the same...No one said they believed in me."
    "I bet lots of people believe in you."
    "...Maybe. T-thank you. For being there."

I carry her home and let her mom start worrying about her ankle.
    "Don't worry; she should be fine by tommorow."

Summer - 17 - XXX1

Oh, is this about the festival the sprites mentioned?
    ...I should not mention the sprites.

The what?
    "Why don't you join us?"
    "What is the festival?"

Nice curiosity-blackmail, there.
    "I guess I'll have to come."

"See you."

I check my mail... For a little note. It's on pink stationary, smelling of flowers.

Poor Popuri. I bet that hair keeps her neck sweltering.

Anyway, I need some gear from the shop...

*sigh*
    Farewell, money.

"Anything else."
    "...Why? I mean, they're just really huge scissors."
    He shrugs.
    "But they'd tear anything less durable about."

I'll miss you, funds.

Oh, that's right! I forgot the pendant! I facepalm my hardest, and rush to the library.
    "Maria...This is for you. The salesman sent it to me..."

"I think so. Something given so freely and so precious..He said it was 'too heavy' for him to carry."
    "...I want to believe."
    "Maybe he'll turn over a new leaf."
    I say this, but I don't believe it. I guess I'm a cynic to my core... But...I don't want her to be wrong.

Anyway, I keep heading onward, to the Green Ranch. Ann has a big packaged bundle in her arms.

"What's that?"

"The sheep on our farm."

"We're sending it off to people who'll make yarn and fabric from it. All our sheep are pink...It's kind of cute."
    She laughs.
    "I can't wait to see how Lambo does one day."

Speaking of which...There's not enough grass for another day. Which means, I need to bring the big animals inside.

This goes...Alarmingly easily.
    Anyway, the rest of my chores are done; let's hit the festival!
    ...Or, well, let's wait until nightfall so I can hit the festival.

I end up waiting around for a bit, getting rid of a big rock or too...Nothing much.

And so, let's go.

Everyone's standing around with pretty pink flowers the size of our heads...And inside each flower is...Some sort of light? Or are they just glowing?

"What's this about, Ma'am?"

"For the festival, and on this night we light their way back to heaven."
    "...That's a pretty cool idea."
    What, were you visiting and not telling me, Mom?
    Don't give me that look. Is that any more far-fetched than magic trees and lucky charm-speak goddesses?

Welp, time to listen to Nintendo Power and talk to everyone.

"This place must be crowded with spirits. It seems like such a quiet festival...But there really is a lot going on."
    "That's an interesting idea. We should have put together something more entertaining for them."
    "You're right; I should have packed a snack."

"How do these lights work, Rick?"

"Stone is in this flower. It reflects light, so a few fireflies are enough to make it shine."

"Oh, come on...Don't you want the spirits to get home safe?"
    I will not ask about their parents. I will not ask about their parents. I won't. I will not. No.
    I'm not evil.

"I think they do. The world's a big place...I can't rule anything out."
    He purses his lips thoughtfully.

oh thank god someone brought them up so I don't have to ask. Victory.
    "..."
    Or not...I guess he doesn't know what that answer will produce.
    "I don't remember..."

...Poor kid. I don't envy the old man.

"Yeah, maybe..."

"Hey, Maria. No flower?"
    "My parents have one for our family..."
    She looks aside, nervously.

"You're afraid? Why?"
    "It's just so big and so dark...It feels like the world must have been before creation...And...If I fell in, I wouldn't be able to see."
    "I see..."
    "Still, to come here to pray to our ancestors is very uplifting."
    "What do you pray?"
    She shrugs.

"Sounds good."

(
    "On this night...So it always gets very dark once we float away the lights."
    Yeah...Is that another goddess-given miracle? How does she move the moon?

"Have dropped into the sea..."

"I bet you like this, huh, Popuri?"
    "These flowers are amazing!"

"Because fireflies can enter and light it up. It's..."

"I'm impressed. Does your family grow them?"
    "Yup <3. They were my special project this year, since they take special care in this climate."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, maybe...I hope he thinks I've done a good job."
    "Maybe. Or maybe the old geezer's hard to please."
    "Hmm." What is happiness? What is 'leading a wonderful life?'
    Everything's simple when you see it from far away. To the spirits, the lanterns in the dark would be stars, huh?

He gives me a light, and I place it in the water.

The current begins to send them, slowly and carefully, out to sea. After a while, they simply seem...To be floating in a great black sky, where the water and the sea are the same...

Goodbye, Mom. Grandpa.

Mom...I don't think about her very often. But all of the sudden, thinking about her...
    I feel like I'm about to cry.
    What an idiot.

I stare at them long after everyone else has left. When I turn around at last, Maria's standing there.

"Yeah. Sounds good."

"...Yeah. The same, I guess. I...I think I've never really had much chance...To think about the people who've gone."
    "I'm sure everyone's proud of you, living and dead."
    "Not my dad."
    "Maybe even him. I think he should be, anyway."

We walk the rest of the way home in silence, until we split up.
    Well, that was a nice festival, and I'm going to have a good sleep.

It's time for another... Typo Report!
    Spoiler
    Show

Another screenshot I had to cut from its scene to avoid a typo. These apparently happen a special amount in Maria scenes -- there's *another* scene killer -- the one I wanted to make the typo reports for -- in a hopefully upcoming scene with Maria.

The word is shearing, Ann. Like with shears. Not like with things that are sheer. See the difference?

This isn't so much a typo as it is me observing how much actual *choice* I got in the scenes this chapter. There's a choice in this scene (I chose 'you're fine'), there's a choice about whether I think the salesman was happy or not (I chose 'no'), there's a choice in whether or not to pick her up when she sprains her ankle (and this is the one that actually matters, since it's a HUGE affection drop if we don't do it, so naturally, we carried her home), and there's a choice whether to walk home with her or not (I chose to). I couldn't, however, pick who I wanted to walk home with; the game auto-picks the girl with the highest affection to offer, provided it's above a certain point.
    So. Yeah. A lot of choices.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-09-22 at 08:46 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...