Wow, sorry to hear that...

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my fellow players(revised to match, of course):

“A story is a tentative entity, everything in it can be changed 180° at any moment, anything the story lead on could be a lie, half truths and secrets can surround and overpower the heroes' wills to turn back to the way things were.

“alternatively, lost dreams can be rekindled as a strand of hope or self epiphany appears before the character. Heroes who have lost their sense of trust and hope will decide to pick themselves up after indulging in anguish and tragedy. And the horrible, unscrupulous b*****d might have latently desired the feeling of having people by his side...

“Now I'm not trying to sound like a jerk with that monologue, but the bottom line is: if you don't like something about your character story — change it's aspects to what appeals to you, if your judgement is true, loyal fans are bound to follow.”

Now sorry if I sounded like an oversized fortune cookie or something, but that's my 2 cents, while not the exact same experience, I've played D&D characters of whom I lost that "connection" to, you know, be it unwanted circumstances or unfavorable development, and I applied this to them and refreshed them as what I REALLY wanted from them, and by golly I made some of my best character experiences this way.