Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
What Absol said. I'll add that it shouldn't matter, though. Gay sex is no better or worse than straight sex and gay relationships are no better than straight relationships. It's only because of homophobes that it matters, in much the same way that homosexuality is a risk factor for suicide only because of homophobes.

More science stuff:
Spoiler
Show
Sexuality probably isn't set by birth. There's a concordance of 50% in twin studies, meaning that 50% of gay men with identical twins have a gay twin. This is much higher than chance or fraternal twins, but it's less than the 100% you'd expect if genes + womb environment determined sexuality. There's something else going on, and it could be genetic (there are some ways identical twins aren't perfectly identical genetically), it could be that the womb environment isn't exactly the same for both twins somehow, or it could be that something in a child's environment after birth but before puberty affects sexuality as well. Don't ask me what, though.
I did say by the time the infant weans, because the mother's hormones still affect the infants until then. Do these studies on identical twins take into account whether they're breastfed or whether they receive other food? That might be interesting to look into.
Going by the studies with identical twins, environment must factor in somehow, but when? Many children's sexualities are fairly clear at around six or eight.