View Single Post

Thread: Musings on Language #2

1. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Musings on Language #2

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    Why schoolwork but not school work or school-work? Why is well-being the preferred form, not wellbeing or well being? Why help desk but not helpdesk or help-desk?
    Having spaces or lacking them depends on whether a given collection of words can have an ambiguous meaning.

Take the musical genre bluegrass, for instance. As separate words, "blue grass" can mean the literal plant grass that is the literal color blue, so you need to stick the two words together to differentiate it. Same with back slash (backwards cut with a weapon, slash someone's or something's back, etc.) vs. backslash (the specific symbol "\"), black bird (a raven or crow) vs. blackbird (a specific species), copy right (correctly reproduce something, the privilege to copy something, etc.) vs. copyright (the specific legal system covering copying privileges and fees), home work (painting your house, working from home, etc.) vs. homework (assignments a student is given to complete outside of school), and so forth.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-09-30 at 11:57 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this