View Single Post

Thread: World-Building Turn-Offs

1. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World-Building Turn-Offs

If you use magic as technology, you pretty much have to make it victorian-style MagePunk. It's ancient and medieval campaigns were it really doesn't work at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryn0528 View Post
    That reminds me; settings without developed NPCs.

Everyone (or mostly everyone) well known in a setting should be realized--famous and infamous characters and especially leaders. Maybe not every character needs to be detailed exactly, but it helps to run a campaign with ideas in mind for who's who.
    As much as people keep hating on Forgotten Realms, the people are the setting.
    Well, technically everything but the PCs and NPC is what the word setting means, but a setting is just a stage. Only when people are doing something on that stage does it become interesting and alive.

For my own setting, I have the stage pretty much perfectly set, but it still feels like it's in a very early stage of development because there aren't any actual people yet. There are races and cultures, but to have any stories take place in it, it now needs to have some movers and shakers. People with conflicting goals and coliding values who cause the friction where there is anything for characters to do.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-10-02 at 09:11 AM.
    Spriggan's Den - Thoughts on RPGs and some of my personal creations.

When you start dividing quotes into blocks to reply to each paragraph seperately, that's usually a strong sign that you're no longer contributing to the thread, but just arguing over who is right.