Kestrel Langstaff's personal journal, written aboard the Prosperity, sailing to the Western Seas.

The last day ashore was very busy.
On 8th Ruthern, in the small hours of the Morning, I was accosted in an alleyway by two Thugs, hired to do violence over the matter of a Woman, or rather, Two Women. I conversed with them on the Brevity of Life, and, having a sharper wit, put to them certain Points to which they had no Rebuttal. I left them in the alley and proceeded to the house of the ladies in question, namely, Lady M____ and her daughter G____, and dallied there with them a while.
At noon, to the West Sea Trading Company's offices, where I was invited to join the complement of the Prosperity, sailing that very next morning. Spent much of the afternoon gathering Supplies for such a voyage.
A man came to my room at the inn, claiming to be from a certain Merchant House and having a Proposition. He offered certain monetary incentives for me to provide this House with a navigational Journal and such strategical observations as would be of Worth. I balked, whereupon he added more money and an unsavoury magic Item, and I felt it best to appear to acquiesce with vague promises, with the which he did seem satisfied. Leaving the inn, I said my goodbyes to my Friends, and particularly to lemans Ravahana and Alihana, offering such Consolation as I could before my Departure. After midnight turning to 9th Ruthern, I took my leave of them and made my way to the Docks, and thus aboard.
I share my berth with an Elf, who speaks but little and whose Accent is rustic. He says he is an archer and a Hunter, although he does not explain why he joined our Company. He seems never to have seen a Ship before.
It being the third hour of the morning, and high tide, Prosperity cast off and made sail. In retrospect a momentous Occasion; but my presence not required on deck, and the day before having been most Strenuous, I was in my berth and slept through it.