Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
Eh - Lizardfolk are mildly better than the standard races. Worth +1 LA? Could be, in a low-op game (which this sounds like). Worth 2 humanoid HD? Heck no, not even close. Especially for a Dragon Disciple where they already get the claws and bite.
I'm willing to concede that the total of 2 HD and +1 LA for lizardfolk is probably overdoing it, and just a way to make the MM entry a "slightly tougher humanoid" for parties to fight. That being said, I really don't think the physical stats of Lizardfolk should go without some sort of level adjustment, especially the natural armor. Reincarnating a Gnome into a Lizardfolk and bypassing this isn't a great way of doing things at all.

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
Ok, I have to disagree here. There are two main ways to use Dragon Disciple.
1) A pure warrior type, with one level of Sorcerer for wand usage and to get those bonus spells. For this purpose, it's a not very powerful but ok class with some fun flavor. In this case, getting extra spellcasting would be pretty minor because you're still mostly in "wand usage or party tricks" territory.
2) As an actual gish (aka warrior/mage split). For this purpose, it's terrible, trashing your casting completely for buffs that don't at all compensate. With 1/2 casting - it's still actually rather weak. But less so, I guess, apparently enough less so that it can be the MVP in a very low-op game.

HD are kind of a red herring, IMO. While a d12 HD does have some utility, the actual amount gained is like 12-18 hp. That's not nothing, but it's going to be less of an impact on overall survivability than AC, saves, or defensive spells/abilities.
Dragon Disciple obviously isn't a great Gish class due to the lack of any spellcasting progression-- I typically see it as Sorc/Pals or Sorc/Fgts or something look for a way to bulk up and get some more casts of True Strike per day. In any case, compared to serious optimization, a lot of the DMG prestige classes are hilariously bad. I just think that adding on spellcasting progression to a class with decent HD and 3/4 BAB, when the usual limit on arcane casters is their poor hit points and combat abilities, is questionable.

It's obviously no pun-pun but slapping a spellcasting progression onto a class that didn't have one, without giving similar buffs to other party members, as well as reincarning your gnome into a lizardfolk, is a recipe for exactly this kind of situation.