View Single Post

Thread: GitP PrC Contest XXXV: The Last Harvest!

1. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest XXXV: The Last Harvest!

Faceless Terror

...persistent silence and outstretched arms...

A disease of note is the gruesome Faceless Hate disease, first elaborated in detail by the writer of the infamous Book of Vile Darkness. A decayer of the body, when it's infection takes it course it also takes the poor soul's face, and all vestiges of sanity and mercy that it once had, warping them into omnicidal maniacs. The victims of this malady are soon put down by their victim's friends and families, but those few who survive slip the binds of mindless killer and enter the ranks of Faceless Terror.

Becoming a Faceless Terror
    There is but one way to become a Faceless Killer - lose your face to the visage-stealing malady, and survive long enough to develop your skills.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Hide 13 ranks, Move Silently 13 ranks
    Special: Must have no face because of the Faceless Hate (BoVD) disease, and have stayed that way for at least 6 months.

Class Skills
    The Faceless Hate's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha)
    Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |No Face to Take, Extended Blindsight, Sneak Attack +1d6

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Hide in Plain Sight

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Only You Can See Me, Sneak Attack +2d6

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |In the Blink of an Eye

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Never Seen Again, Sneak Attack +3d6[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Faceless Terror gains no new proficiencies.

No Face to Take: At 1st level, the Faceless Terror's malady becomes part of its physiology, and so now nothing can reverse the process, not even a Wish or a Miracle spell. Even killing the Faceless Terror and ressurecting it will result in simply a reborn and annoyed Faceless Terror.

Extended Blindsight (Ex): At 1st level, the Faceless Terror's Blindsight extends out to 250ft, the product of honing its abilities.

Sneak Attack: Beginning at 1st level, a Faceless Terror deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when flanking an opponent or at any time when the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus. This extra damage applies to ranged attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. See the rogue class feature, page 50 of the Player’s Handbook. The amount of extra damage dealt increases to 2d6 at 3rd level, and to 3d6 at 5th level. If a Faceless Terror gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as levels of rogue), the bonuses on damage stack.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Being a murderous monstrosity without a face, being able to exist unnoticed is a must. A Faceless Terror of 2nd level and higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Only You Can See Me (Su): At 3rd level and higher, the Faceless Terror can drive a victim of it's choice utterly insane. The Faceless Terror gains the ability to use Greater Invisibility at-will, but when it uses this ability, it must designate one living creature with sight within 60ft of the Faceless Terror.
    The designated creature alone can see the Faceless Terror as if it were not invisible. While this means the Faceless Terror gains no bonus against the designated creature, the bonus of this singling out is that for each round the designated creature can see the Faceless Terror (and that only they can see it), the designated creature takes a -1 penalty to all Will and Reflex Saves and becomes vulnerable to the Faceless Terror's Never Seen Again ability, as their ability to think and react slowly breaks down.

In the Blink of an Eye (Su): At 4th level onwards, the Faceless Terror can jump from place to place in a moment. The Faceless Terror may teleport up to 100ft in any direction, as the Dimension Door spell, except the Faceless Terror may still make a move action hide immediately after teleporting, if they have not already used their move action that round.

Never Seen Again (Su): At 5th level, the Faceless Terror can simply make its victims......go away. Once per day, as a touch attack, the Faceless Terror can make a melee touch attack against a creature that is the designated victim of it's Only You Can See Me ability. The victim makes a Reflex Save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 Character Level + Dex Mod, and if they fail, then they disappear. Where to, nobody knows, but everyone who knows of the Faceless Terrors know that people snatched in this way don't come back.
    Ever.

Playing a Faceless Terror
    The Faceless Terror is your worst nightmare - only you can see him, and once you do, it's too late.
    Combat: The main tactics of the Faceless Terror is to designate a victim with it's Only You Can See Me ability, wear it down with said ability and Sneak Attacks, avoid counterattacks with its ability to teleport, and finally take them away with its Never Seen Again ability.
    Advancement: Many Faceless Terrors are Rogues and Assassins, and normally progress these skills once they finish this PrC.
    Resources: A Faceless Terror has no friends, no home, and no possessions beyond that what they take.

Faceless Terrors in the world
    Can't sleep, slendy will get me, can't sleep, slendy will get me, can't sleep, slendy will get me, can't sleep, slendy will get me, can't sleep, slendy will get me, can't sleep, slendy will get me, can't sleep, slendy will get me...

Faceless Terrors are nightmares given blood and flesh to wreak their havok on the world
    Daily Life: The Faceless Terror spends most of its time stalking its prey, watching its every move until they slip up, and leave themselves unaware.
    Notables: The most famous Faceless Terror is the infamous Slender Man. He spent decades terrorizing a particular Material Plane for no apparent reason, before never being seen or heard of again. The only trace of "him" left is that some powerful Binders have been able to call on his services as a Vestige, although the Slender Man has not elaborated on his disappearance, for obvious reasons.
    Organizations: Thankfully, Faceless Terrors are not known to congregate, and in fact have been known to attack each other instead of stalking their prey.

NPC Reaction
    It is said that children fear the dark more than usual as a subconscious reaction to a Faceless Terror, but most NPCs do not know of the Faceless Terror, because that is how the Terrors like it. Those few that do (and thus are being stalked) slowly turn into gibbering, paranoid wrecks.

Faceless Terrors in The Game
    While the PrC is meant for a mysterious serial killer, certain Evil PCs already fit this archetype already.
    Adaptation: This prestige class can easily be edited as an agent of Mask in Faerun, or a Daelkyr's whimsy in Eberron
    Encounters: Boys and Girls, you do watch out, the Slender Man is out and about......
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-10-16 at 06:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486