View Single Post

Thread: Dragonborn Question

1. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonborn Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
    We have a guy who tries to have broken characters in every campaign, often be outrageous interpretations of rules or simply "misunderstanding" them. Here is another issue that I need help understanding. As I am very new to 4e (he usually tried to do this in the 3.5e campaigns).

He has a dragonborn, I think only level 4 or 5, and he is taking feats that add different elements to his breath attack, and deals a LOT of damage. Right now he has 4 elements (fire, cold, electric, and acid) and apparently he can do a MINIMUM of 44 damage, and does over 100 on a critical. He said he adds strength mod + con mod + 1/2 HD + ?d6 EACH, then adds them together. This is only 1 /day, but seems he is stretching this way too much.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Much appreciated guys, thank you.
    That is most definitely incorrect. If his original damage type is fire and he does x damage, then taking a feat that allows him to do, say, lightning damage does "x fire and lightning damage", not "x fire damage and x lightning damage". You're adding a damage type, not adding damage. It means that the damage from his attack does both types simultaneously, so an enemy has to be resistant to both to resist the damage at all.

~EDIT~
    I'm also not sure where the strength mod or the 1/2 HD come from (not sure what HD refers to, actually). Does he have some kind of feat that gives that to him?
    Last edited by shamgar001; 2012-10-08 at 02:25 AM.
    "I think most gamemasters would agree that their world functions significantly more smoothly before the PCs ever show up."

My games:
    Athas' Second Fall | Fionna Cavanaugh | Human Cavalier
    Novash | Bel'Shazar | Dragonborn Berzerker
    Hey! Come With Me Now! | Jabbor | Eladrin Skald
    The Red Desert of Sapa Shara Shanta | Nephili | Deva Hexblade
    Dragon War | DM
    Devombor | DM