View Single Post

Thread: So, is this a trope in fiction?

1. Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: So, is this a trope in fiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Not too argue too much against it but I still wonder if this is indeed a universal trope or if someone can name a subversion that's not due to a aborted tournament.
    It's actually a pretty common (well, at least a couple of time) subversion on sport manga, of suddenly making the main character fight the supposedly strongest character. I can think a few of it at least.

Maybe fighting the ultimate rival early isn't that common, but I think fighting the supposedly strongest participant in the tournament is pretty common.

A few is from Eyeshield 21, when the seeding make them fight the supposedly strongest team on kanto tournament, Shinryuji Naga, as first match (it was supposed to be a HUGE surprise).

They also fight their ultimate rival, Oujo White Knights (and their last fight ever, in fact), in semi final, and fight a previously completely never heard team for the final.

Another one that I can remember is in Slam Dunk, where they also fight the supposedly strongest team and the winner of the previous tournament early in the interhigh.
    Last edited by Fri; 2012-10-08 at 09:31 PM.

You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.
    Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP