Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
Spoiler
Show
This theory is pretty common and also ties in well with the Mummer's Dragon mentioned in Dany's visions from the House of Undying.
In reply to this:

Spoiler
Show
I thought "Aegon" was an imposter until Varys' "James Bond-villian speech" to a dying Kevan Lannister. I don't see a reason why Varys would lie in that situation. Further, Varys and Illyrio's plan does make some sense in hindsight. Dany was to be married off to get troops--not for Viserys, but for "Aegon." They did not give Viserys the same in-depth training as "Aegon" either. Perhaps because as Viserys wasn't the actual heir that they planned to kill him eventually?

So after the epilogue, my hunch is that Aegon is legitimate, which I see as rather cheesy. Martin is already doing the "heir that is believed dead, but still alive with the surviving Starks." The main doubt I have is: how would Varys have known that Gregor Clegane would smash the baby so that it became unrecognizable?

The Aegon twist is bizarre. From a storyline perspective, Dany is still nowhere close to Westros. On the other hand, her "nephew" appears out of thin air and begins his invasion in one book. It is slow pacing on one end and ridiculously fast pacing on the other.

My prediction for the end of the series: Ramsey Bolton ends up as king--with Sansa Stark (or a alternative innocent like Myrcella or Shireen Baratheon) as a tortured, suffering queen--simply because that would be the most twisted ending I can think of right now (outside of the Others winning, that is). Martin loves to have the "bad guys" be "winning" but add a possibility of the "good guys" turning the tables only to have the good guys lose anyway (good and bad being relative terms of course).

For example, does anyone really think that the Onion Knight's attempt to rescue Rickon Stark will be successful?