1. - Top - End - #587
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The 3.5 Red Hand Of Doom Handbook for DMs [Major spoilers!] - WIP, PEACH!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Did they not have enough sunderers?
    Was the Bridge too hard?
    Without the bridge destroyed the Hand will arrive quicker than it should (day 8they arrive at bridge; if Bridge destroyed Hand must take long way around so 3 days more to cross to attack).
    They must fight him Chapter 5 back at the Red Hand home base (possibly in invasion as well).

With Giants (delay by 2), they means delayed from Ferry's destruction till day 14 (If Koth defeated [delay 1] makes it day 15, Bridge (delay 3) makes it 18 days of peace before the storm). So the party lost 4 days no biggie overall.

Are the party planning to spend their extra days on hit/runs on bridge or are they already past day 14 to get Ferry's butt out of there?
    Without mounts it is easy to get in trouble by time, but with proper mounts it is easier to stay ahead with downtime. They should have no trouble escaping with the Ferry to safety if they wish.
    The main source of delay was the town: they had a really slow start there. Before they investigated Vraath Keep, one character started a minor plague, two characters were almost burned at the stake as witches... Y'know how it is.

The Ferry has been evacuated by this point, though. That took a bit longer than normal, because they accidentally killed Norro and most of the militia, meaning that the town basically had no centralized power structure left. (When I say "accidentally", I should note that the killings were completely intentional, but the chain of events that led to the killings being seen as necessary was totally inadvertent.)

So the delays were mostly just a matter of players getting distracted from the main mission. I don't think they realized until now that the adventure was actually time-dependent, so I'm okay with a bit of a rude awakening.

And they've now fled to Brindol, leaving most of the Ferry's refugees wandering around the Vale in a rather disorganized state. Their plan is to make contact with the nobles of Brindol and try and organize a more coherent defense. Which sounds good. The problem is that, as far as I can tell, they have no idea that Rhest contains Hand operatives. Despite having ample opportunities, they have not taken any prisoners so far. So their state of intel is, in general, very poor. I'm thinking I might have a Red Hand assassin attack Jarnaath or one of his underlings while they're near. Like Skather, but rather less hardcore. The assassin will have stuff that gives them the vital information of where to go next. Wanting to stop the roadblock can just be icing on the cake, I guess.
    Last edited by GreyMantle; 2012-10-15 at 04:53 PM.