Mr. Cohen says, "No, Mr. Kahir, take the conn."
Spoiler
Show
Ka'Xet, either you are good-naturedly wanting to chat, or possibly you (the player) didn't understand that your PC did not notice that the Captain didn't understand PIM. Either way, and this is a new dynamic for Ka'Xet, when the First Mate asks the Captain for a chat, unless invited - even though you are next in line for command - that doesn't usually include you.

Yup. You know what I mean ... the CO and the XO playing "I got a secret." It's not just a modern convention.

Though he could fly easily enough, his wings are folded must of the time aboard ship (and he is able to change his shape, it seems, to get rid of them so he can bunk down at night ... neat trick), and he likes the movement of the ship. He scrambles up the stairs happily to watch the City of Sasserine starting to fall behind (the ship still parallels the outer harbor on both sides. He looks out over the fantail to the wake below.

As Darrius comes up, Lazer doesn't look at him so much as acknowledge him ... as two men simply looking aft and enjoying the view.

"Let me guess. The panel that approved your captaincy were so enamored of your general seafaring and shiphandling knowledge that they took the most basic function of being an officer - navigation - for granted."

Celiss, as ship's mage, your job in that capacity is on an as-needed basis. Otherwise, it's up to you whether you would pitch (get it? wooden boats? pitch? never mind) in to help, or to be a prima donna from hell (literally on the last). What do you see yourself doing?
Spoiler
Show
Also, you never got back to me on equipment.

One-Eyed Willy, you were given word by Lady Lavinia that there was going to be a feast tonight on the Blue Nixie for both crews (net lashings to keep the ships together). It is supposed to be a lavish at-sea meal. For fun and flavor (literally and campaign-wise), what do you see yourself making? Though annoying, your little fanboy Tavey Nesk can at least be your minion in the scullery.