View Single Post

Thread: If WH40K got the Bioware Treatment...

1. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: If WH40K got the Bioware Treatment...

Note that the suggested alignment systems I mentioned were political alignments, not a warp Corruption scale.

Corruption just is, it's from 0% to 100% as Cheesegear stated. You're either pure, or your soul gets dirty and can't be cleaned out without extreme sacrifice (See: Martyrdom).

I agree regarding 'evil things and no consequences'. This should be true. Except when it's not. Generally though, being a brutal bastard will be the surest way to succeed. Being nice will make succeeding extremely difficult. No good act should go without punishment and suffering. Occasionally doing something evil will make enemies, but that's why you've got to be savvy.

Okay, so you didn't like Mass Effect. We're getting into your personal opinion, for something which could very easily be used as a solid inspiration to make a game.

----

Now, regarding not believing in the Emperor = Chaos. Not exactly true.

A strong, pure belief in the Emperor = Resistant to Chaos. Not believing means less of this resistance, but there are other ways to not turn to Chaos. I think I'll quote Gideon Ravenor...

"Chaos claims the unwary or the incomplete. A true man may flinch away from its embrace, if he is stalwart, and he girds his soul with the armour of contempt"

Note that he doesn't say that it requires faith. Now, he could be wrong, but various canon sources (e.g: Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader) imply that faith is not required, although it helps.

Also, furthermore: Radical =/ Chaos. One could use Xenos tech and not be corrupted by Chaos. Yes, you'd be a filthy heretic, but your sould would remain pure, providing it wasn't warp tech. Using a Necron gauss gun won't corrupt the soul, but will make you a politically corrupt friend of aliens.

This is why I suggested multiple political alignments. Actual warp corruption wouldn't be an alignment as such, it would be more akin to radiation exposure. You can't remove radiation exposure once you've got it. The difference is that this exposure makes you grow tentacles and go mad. Promoting technological progress without warp tech won't create Chaos corruption, but it will make you a dirty heretek in the eyes of the Mechanicus.

Going by Dark Heresy: You don't get Corruption Points for using an Ork gun and hanging out with aliens. You do get Corruption Points for using sorcery and hanging out with witches.

---

Also, you can paint the blood of the pure on your armour if you want to avoid Chaos (LOL).
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-10-22 at 07:28 AM.