Oohhh... sniper. And from... South Africa, looks like.

Backstory
Spoiler
Show
There is no such thing as 'impossible' for a Marine. Double so for a Marine Sniper. I've been all over the globe, from cleaning up the last of the terror organizations to Central America to put paid to some of the higher-ups in the drug cartels. Urban, jungle, desert... I seen it all.

They eventually discharged me. Said my psyc profile was way outta wack. I'd been out in the field way too long, and I needed to get out before I get lost in it. All that BS. So, after spent a few months in the Bahamas shooting tequilla as a vacation, I got bored. I didn't want to go back to America, so I went to Johannesburg to visit my grandparents, and ended up signing up with the local police force. My military background made me a natural for their SWAT team.

I knew, in a vague way, that aliens were running all over the place, but I hadn't seen one, so it seemed like more scuttlebutt... an excuse for the politicians to make a few quick bucks.

Until they showed up at my doorstep. With my closed-file. They said they needed a few good men. I said I'd heard that before. Then they showed me some footage. Alien tech blowing up cars. UFO's making raids. Some four-legged thing impaling an unlucky civilian... which then got back up. When the thing hatched out of the walking corpse, they stopped it. Told me it takes a certain kind to face that kind of crap.

Hell, I was getting bored anyways, after the administrative leave for popping that guy that took hostages at the bank downtown. For 'unauthorized discharge of firearm'. Said if I had been off by even the tiniest fraction, I could've killed the civilian. Psssh, come on, I dropped the hostile and ended the hostage situation. Saved civilian lives.

These guys in the Suits told me that was why they showed up... they needed someone willing to take the shot. Said they've been having problems with rookies panicking and making dumb mistakes. Needed someone who could keep his head while his battle buddy just got splattered all over him. Asked for a commitment. Heh, they've done their research. That's the one thing a Marine can do... make a commitment.

Besides, the beer here sucks. Wherever their base is, it's got to have better booze than this.

Journal Entry: July 14
Spoiler
Show
So, made it here in one piece. Whole lot of wierd tech going around here. Got the whole "I don't care what your record was before joining here, until you run a live mission, you ain't worth crap" attitude from the sweats. Eh, that's gonna happen with any crack unit. I'll make my bones and they'll chill.

Made the mistake of asking one of my bunkmates about the dude with the non-regulation hair that was going down the hall. Big mistake. Apparently, he's some kind of living legend down here. Over fifty confirmed alien kills to his credit, almost more than the entire rest of the unit combined, plus countless assists and saves. They also said there was this lab... the other two people that went in came out with a headache... he came out with some wierd psychic abilities.

Got dragged down to the memorial. I was surprised there were that many kills since the project got started, considering the quality they recruit. Damn near everyone down here's a green beret or SAS or the like. The guy giving the tour pointed out the first name on the list. Said he was responsible for the first live capture for interrogation. Bought it by getting a little too eager, but he bagged the alien first. Told me that if I was half that good, then I'd be better than most. I just told him give me a target, I'll plug it. He gave me a funny look. Been getting that look a lot. Weird lot here.

July 15
Spoiler
Show
Got to see an interrogation. They don't look so tough, like someone got stretched out a bit. But apparently it was a big deal, because it was the first one they were able to capture alive. Eh, live capture isn't my bag. Exterminating is.

Got taken down to the infirmary to see the wounded. That sobered me up a bit. Well, if all goes according to plan, I won't be getting too near them. I'll only be looking at them down my scope. Of course, plans never work out that way, but hey... I can deal with that too.

July 18
Spoiler
Show
Claxons went off. Names were called. Not mine, this time. A couple of people muttered about 'the usual team'. Meh, just means more rack time for me. Maybe I should go look up the weight room. later.