Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
Hexblade was probably intended as a fighter alternative. Since fighters get 2+int mod skill points, hexblade followed suit. Also, because this was so early in the 3.5e development cycle, certain novel features (like ability to cast spells in armour, or heck, even an improved familiar with full bab) might have been deemed too powerful in theory, and so the rest of the abilities weakened to compensate (but turned out to be non-issues in actual gameplay).
I think it's more meant to be an alternative Paladin than an alternative Fighter. The similarities are too many for me to chalk up to coincidence. Curse and Smite happen at (about) the same levels, Arcane Resistance is just a worse Divine Grace, Mettle pairs up with Divine Health, the familiar pairs up with the special mount (the familiar comes one level sooner, granted, but it's also much less cool out of the box), they get spells at the same rate . . . clear Paladin-analogue, in my mind. The point stands either way, of course, since both Paladins and Fighters get crappy skill points, but hey.