Siegfried shot Simon a disapproving glare - the young man's indifference to his plea must have come across on his face. The apothecary glanced at Valerie momentarily, his frown ebbing away, but he seemed to decide there was no time to waste; turning back to Abel and Heinrich, he beckoned them back along the path, muttering as he went.

Simon and Valerie

Spoiler
Show
"Well," said Émilie, apparently deciding to pay attention to the newcomers once more. It seemed she had exhausted her patients. She smiled at Simon. "You've done reasonably well. Where did you pick up the healing arts?"

Heinrich and Abel

Spoiler
Show
"I didn't want to say too much back there," said Siegfried, holding up a hand to the others as they reached the inn. "The village elder, Edgard, claimed it was a goblin attack. But I've already treated one of the survivors, with a wound that was definitely not from an arrow. It seemed more like ..." He rolled his eyes, as if he couldn't believe what he was saying. "A snake bite. A gigantic, poisonous snake bite." He swallowed, his eyes darting from face to face.

"I don't know what's going on, but I'm pretty sure everybody involved wants to keep this quiet. If there's another man whose life needs saving, that's what I'm going to do, and I hope you will too. After that ... I don't know." The apothecary shrugged. For a moment, standing there, looking unsure, his robes still splattered in goblin blood from earlier ,the man looked absolutely exhausted.