View Single Post

Thread: Critical Saves

1. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Critical Saves

Well, the key issue behind saving throws is their intention. In D&D saving throws existed to make players roll more dice, specifically for nasty effects like charm and save-or-die. There have even been variants in many D&D systems for making players roll all the dice, even for attacks against them. This is because most tabletop RPGs are heavily based on that random semi-gambling aspect. Furthermore, the D20 has a 5% chance for a 1 and a 5% chance for a 20, which (for certain rolls) represent automatic failure and success.

The 5% failure is something that really bothers me. Many people houserule it to be a fumble (or potential fumble), and I find that having a 5% or higher chance per round to lose your weapon is an un-fun way of doing things. One houserule I've considered is to make it so that a natural 1 is a miss with no other bad results (this is RAW for most systems), but the player can choose to reroll the attack and will only fumble on a roll of 10 or less.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-11-10 at 02:46 AM.
    "...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

Check out our zombie survival sandbox video game!