View Single Post

Thread: Wreck it Ralph: Im gonna wreck it!

1. - Top - End - #47
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Wreck it Ralph: Im gonna wreck it!

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I don't think that's what they were questioning:

Spoiler
    Show
    The question was why the Cy-Bugs are relentless, remorseless killing-machines that WOULD wreak havoc if let loose, while the rest of the video-game villains are punch-clock types that meet once a week (or month, I don't know how often AA-like groups actually meet) and are generally friendly, polite and even kind when "off-camera." Why are the Cy-Bugs destroyers of game worlds, while for the rest of the bad guys they're just doing their job? Even a throwaway line like "they've got crappy, incomplete programming because the game was rushed out" or something would have explained that, but we don't even have something like that to explain why the Cy-Bugs don't adhere to the same expectations the rest of the games have of their villains.

Saw the movie on Monday night and it was WELL worth it. Great character interaction, just enough foreshadowing that when the big reveals were made you went "Oh, NOW I get it! Cool!", and scenes that just tug on the heartstrings, both happy and sad. To quote Owl City in the end credits, "When Can I See This Again?"
    Spoiler
    Show

My guess if I wanted to patch that logic hole would be because the Cybugs numbered in the thousands or millions. Every other video game had personalized heroes and villains - they had names, they had personalities. The Cybugs, though, were in the only game where there would have been too many enemies, none of whom were expected to last more than a few seconds individually, so they were programmed for efficiency, the minimum amount of coding necessary to serve their role in the game of 'eat, multiply, attack, die'. If the characters ever visited, say, Space Invaders, I would have expected those enemies to have a similar mono-focused maliciousness, even if they couldn't replicate the way Cybugs could.

Also...since you brought up the songs...am I the only one who found some of the music a little suspicious, in a Getting Crap Past The Radar sort of way? They all made sense in the context that they were shown/played, but "Shut Up and Drive", "When Can I See You Again"? The lyrics to these songs are PG-13, to say the least.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-11-15 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D