Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
And as for the people who are saying "All maneuvers should give you something new that you can do, not just boost your numbers," I am inclined to agree initially, but I have two questions:
  1. Should that include any "default" maneuvers that are granted at Level 1, a la Deadly Strike? Or is it ok if those maneuvers just increase numbers?
  2. How would such a system accommodate the player base that WotC is worried about who like to play super-simple characters that don't have to make very many decisions during combat?
- Hmm, sure. Adding numbers might be boring, but at least it's always useful. I can get behind having an always-useful option to spend dice on in those situations where otherwise they'd just go to waste. I would, however, add the caveat that we should be careful not to make these pluses-only maneuvers too good, such that it's always a better idea to use them instead of the more interesting ones. This is the same problem magic items have with the +X Sword of Pointyness: No matter how awesome the other effects are, that +X is so good and important that it's never worth sacrificing, so magic items become more boring as a whole simply for their inclusion.

- Well, you all know my opinion on that matter is just to introduce the Spectator class and be done with it. I think designing a combat-heavy RPG like D&D while considering people who don't like combat will get you as far as trying to write a book that appeals to people who hate reading.