1. - Top - End - #719
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Culture explores 40K II: Now With 100% more Fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Are you familiar with the Culture at all? You seem to dismiss them without much reason.
    I've been trying to avoid restarting the philosophical argument from the first thread. Basically I've seen and read enough to know the general details of the plots of the books, the nature and history of the setting and of Ian Bank's philosophy, and that they are all fairly repugnant to me personally.

Why should anyone dictate morality to anyone?
    I have no idea. It seems like a huge waste of time, and in the Culture's case pretty seriously hypocritical, but people insist on doing it. Maybe it's something I'm missing.

And, well, I can't see the difference. How is it different than, say, differences within the Human race today?
    Humans are a single species and an unusually homogeneous one at that; the innate differences between people born on opposite sides of the planet are so superficial that they are barely worth mentioning. In a sane universe, creatures who evolved on planets hundreds or thousands of light-years away are going to be pretty seriously distinct even if they somehow approximate our appearance. If we're closer on the evolutionary tree to the Archaea than to them, well that pretty much speaks for itself.

I'm guessing that you meant in a personhood sense, and I can't help you there. It's arbitrary either way, and largely irrelevant from my point of view, so it comes down to preference and I prefer a human-dominant universe to the alternatives.
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2012-11-15 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Bad formatting.