1. Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Does anyone else really want Tarquin to get absolutely bashed in?

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe Seven View Post
    That is true, but ONLY because of convention.
    But no. "Convention," as you call it, exists for a reason. You said earlier that "people don't like change and have been raised on happy endings," effectively poisoning the well: Anyone who doesn't desire the villain to win lacks imagination.
    There's no reason a story couldn't end on the villain winning.
    You speak as though "what people enjoy reading" is not a reason, or at least not one that doesn't speak to how painfully "conventional" those people are if they happen to disagree with you.
    I think at this point we've said everything that can be said on the matter. It's been interesting, but let's drop it.
    When I see a post that goes, "Long reassertion of my position...now let's drop it," it always looks like that poster is trying to get in the last word.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-11-16 at 08:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

"The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.