Eh, the custom seems overly harsh and difficult to maintain. Internally, you'd need either:

• a population utterly devoted to their government to be willing to follow a custom like that: random farmer Joe would probably be unwilling to walk out into the middle of street while a sorceror is leveling buildings with fireballs
  • a fanatical cult-like group that is more terrifying than anyone they declare ash-kerampf: again, random farmer Joe might willing to walk out into the middle of a street while a sorceror is leveling buildings with fireballs if they knew that the group enforcing it would do so much worse than a fireball

Externally, you'd need either:

• the countries that enforce it are significantly more powerful than the countries that don't enforce it, otherwise they couldn't launch invasions any time an ash-kerampf fled to a country that wasn't obligated to hand them over
  • the countries that enforce it are all located close to each other and are geographically isolated from countries that do not enforce it powerful enough to stand up to an invasion, as otherwise any ash-kerampf would simply flee to that country

Eh. Again, overly harsh and probably a little evil: I don't think I'd include it in my campaign. How has it faired in yours? What do you typically use it for? Do players become ash-kerampf, do they encounter an ash-kerampf, or do you use it to set the tone of the nation they're in (probably somewhat evil)? I think I might see more value in it if you gave an in-game example of how it benefited the game.