Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
Spoiler
Show
It's different because Dash actually acknowledges that this is real, that it is a thing (the dive). Now, you could probably ignore the rest because none of the ponies react to it (that I remember, off the top of my head), but Dash asking "how did you do that?" tells us that we have no good reason to believe that her friends don't also notice all the rest (and just don't ask about it on screen). That's what has me concerned.

Pinkie having magic/psionics/whatever would be fine if it was presented as such and made to fit within the setting, but it's blatantly not. It is intentionally presented and now acknowledge IC as the utter reality defying cartoon physics that it is.
Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
Ugh, one other thought on new episode:

Spoiler
Show
Until now, Pinkie's antics have all been ignored, in a sense nobody calls her out on "how did you do that?" But, we saw Rainbow Dash address the fact she froze mid jump into the water, and even ask "how did you do that?". So, what now? Are we going to find out that Pinkie really has some magic, something that allows her to do this? The show's continuity would expect an explanation.
Responding to spoilers with non-spoilery content.

Pinkie has been seen to break the laws of physics and get responses from ponies as well. Just off the top of my head, we have Pinkie popping out of potted plants (Green Isn't Your Color), Pinkie outrunning the fastest flier in Equestria (Griffon the Brush-Off), Pinkie hijacking Twilight's teleport spell (Return of Harmony), PinkieEyes popping through brick walls and keyholes (A Friend in Deed), and probably several others.

At this point, we'd either need to declare Pinkie simply possessing indescribable reality-altering powers, or just treat is as visual gags for the audience that were not meant to be taken seriously. I'm a bit more inclined to take the second option, as there is far too much silly in Equestria to take the whole setting at face value. (Besides, it's more fun that way. )

And having through it over for half a day, I'd like to give my overall opinion about the episode.
S3e3 spoilers
Spoiler
Show
This reminded me of the setup and implementation in Party of One. We have Pinkie suddenly developing a never-before-seen obsession, suddenly going through antics because she can't do it, and getting it all wrapped up and resolved when she stops overreacting and seeing the obvious (to the viewer). It perhaps works a bit better in Party of One than here in Too Many Pinkie Pies, if nothing else that earlier we had less understanding of her character and she was still opening up to the rest of her close friends. At this point, she's been together with them for three seasons - it's kind of odd that the "cannot have fun with more than one at once" problem didn't show up before.

I will admit, Pinkie isn't my favorite character. She's silly to watch, but it's hard to sympathize with someone with such a goofy personality. I actually think she's shown more maturity in Season 2 than she showed in the entire episode. I do realize that in an episodic series by different authors like this, we will get some episodes where characters act sillier or simplier than in others.

However, if we're discussing internal narrative consistency based off of Pinkie's slow-dive, then I don't see a problem for me to bring up narrative consistency critiques about Pinkies occasional (frequent?) nature shifts.