View Single Post

Thread: Gender Swap: female to male

1. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gender Swap: female to male

There is the matter that most writers tend to be male, and as such may find a female to male swap harder to write. However, that still probably wouldn't account for just how big the difference is, so there may well be some underlying social/cultural factors at play here*

On the cultural side of explanations, it's worth noting that this disproportion of examples seems to be reflected when it comes to transgendered characters. Specifically, transmale character are far, far, less common than transfemale ones. Whether this correlation stems from any similar factors or is just coincidental I don't know.

*IIRC there does exist something of a male-to-female gender swap fetish group but I'm not sure if that accounts for much outside of webcomics. Then again, rather a lot of gender-swap examples do seem to come from the world of webcomics...
    Quote Originally Posted by PlusSixPelican View Post
    MISFILE

How did no one mention Misfile. It handles this kind of thing rather seriously.
    Probably because that webcomic is (like practically every gender swap webcomic in existence) about someone who is male being turned female. I'll grant that it's handled somewhat better than some other webcomics I've webcomics I've had the misfortune of encountering, but it's still not a relevant example.

But they HAVE done it the other way. Shakespeare did it for crying out loud.

Granted, in Twelfth Knight, Viola doesn't become a man so much as disguise herself as one
    In other words, it isn't an example of a female to male gender-swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    I've seen Escaflowne, and as I recall, this one really seemed to come out of nowhere in the second-to-last episode. It brought on one of those collective "WTF?!?" moments in our group. Still, it qualifies, I guess.
    It is actually hinted at a bit earlier in the series, but it very much a surprise plot twist/reveal (one that I unfortunately had spoiled for me a good while before it came-up). I'd be a bit hesitant about including it even it weren't a massive spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show

I mean, it's less a case of a character being turned into a different gender as it was a character who had been turned into a different person (without any memories of who they'd been previously) who was of the opposite sex.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2012-12-04 at 11:25 AM.